Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hearing windows error sound randomly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 pc rookie

pc rookie

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:04 AM

Ok so i'm just surfing the net normally and occasionally i will hear the windows error sound however no error box pops up indicating about any error or anything to indicate the reason for it? I'm just wondering what causes this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:52 AM

Try looking in the Event Viewer to see if any errors are showing up at the times that this is happening.

Event Viewer: Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pc rookie

pc rookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:11 PM

There were quite a lot of errors from around 2pm but i did not notice it occuring at that time, it was later than the times for the errors on the Computer Management window.

The errors that did occur today are the following:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7000
Date: 15/01/2009
Time: 14:09:39
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-J4UVZ7R1I
Description:
The avast! Web Scanner service failed to start due to the following error:
The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7009
Date: 15/01/2009
Time: 14:03:55
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-J4UVZ7R1I
Description:
Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the avast! Web Scanner service to connect.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#4 pc rookie

pc rookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

Any other info needed, it keeps occuring. I'm wondering what the cause is

#5 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:42 PM

You should uninstall and then reinstall your avast! virus scanner. The sounds you are hearing could be a result of the scanner or some other program throwing an error without displaying a message box.
-Nelson

#6 pc rookie

pc rookie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

Thanks, i'll try that perhaps.

Mod Edit:  Topic locked.  Anyone with similar issues needs to initiate a new topic in her/his own name - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 28 September 2017 - 01:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users