Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Service Causes Add Remove Programs to be blank

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 roberta47

roberta47

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

Hi Folks,

This is one I've never heard of before. The computer is an older (5 yrs) Dell Inspiron 5100 with 512 MB RAM running Win XP Home SP2.

Let me preface this by saying that the computer had multiple infections which were cleaned using a combination of SuperAntiSpyware, Trend Micro online scan, Norton Internet Security 2009, and Malware Bytes.

Next, I ran a chkdsk /f.

After these viruses were taken care of I did an inplace repair install of Windows XP then manually downloaded SP2 and installed it.

When I open My Computer, all I got was the flashlight. I managed to fix that by disabling the Shell Hardware Detection service. The one I'm having trouble with is that the Add Remove Programs list comes up empty. I am able to get the list to populate only if I turn off the Automatic Windows Update service. How the two are related, I have no idea. This of course presents a problem as you cannot use Windows Update without it.

Anybody out there have any ideas?

TIA,
Roberta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

Well...if you are sure the system is clean, you could always try Add or Remove Programs Restriction - Undo, #146, at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users