Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new xp pro window sizing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bendebear

bendebear

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Cannot increase window size above 640x480. Slider will not move.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

Some info about your hardware please - is this a new system or has the problem suddenly appeared? What kind of graphics adapter do you have? Have there been any changes made to the system recently?

Look to your graphics card drivers.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 bendebear

bendebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:59 AM

Rimmer.
This is a brand new out of the box Dell Optiplex GX 280. Graphics adapter?? No changes have been made to system except loading data from old computer. Noticed problem when logged on to AOL and screen was all over the place. I appreciate your help but don't have any manuals with specs such as graphics adapters.

#4 bizzyb0t

bizzyb0t

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:04 PM

Hey bendebear!!

Perhaps your monitor is incapable of a higher resolution. What type of monitor do you have (screen size- viewable) and graphics adapter do you have.

1) right-click desktop --> {Properties}

2) click Settings tab

3) click Advanced button

4) click Adapter tab

5) post what you see: "Adapter Type" & "Adapter Information"

After that we'll see what we can do to help but we need to have some sort of (at least) basic information. :thumbsup:
I tried for hours to come up with a signature and all I came up with was this.

#5 bendebear

bendebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

bizzybot.
I am currently using my old monitor( HP) with my old HP computer. With my HP my settings are 800x600 32 bit color. when I just change to the new Dell computer, same monitor, the computer won't let me change the settings. They remain at 640x480 16 bit color. I have a new ELO monitor and hooked it up to the new Dell and I can't change the screen sizing. I suspect the problem is in the computer but I'm still a Newbie. Was thinking maybe the monitor driver but as I said I'm a Newbie.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:15 PM

Go to your device manager which is accessed by going to the control panel and clicking on the "system" tab and then clicking on the "hardware" tab, and then on the button for the "Device Manager", and then click on the "+" to the left of "display adapters" which will then display the name of the display adapter installed in your computer, then right click on whatever that is, then click on "properties" and tell us what it says the status of the display adapter is.

If it doesn't say the device is working properly click on "troubleshooter".

If that doesn't result in a "fix" click the "driver" tab and click update driver.

Edited by Enthusiast, 24 May 2005 - 07:16 PM.

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 07:53 PM

Any monitor and graphics adaptor made this century is capable of better than 640x480 resolution. bizzyb0t wrote out instructions for you to find the description of your graphics adaptor/card but you haven't reponded.

The Dell suport site shows you could have a range of graphics adaptors in that model - from onboard video to a PCI-X card. Unless you're booting in safe mode - in which case the screen will say 'safe mode' in each corner - it is almost certainly a graphics driver problem. Have you called Dell?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#8 bendebear

bendebear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Rimmer/bizzybOT

First let me thank you for your efforts. I was reluctant to call Dell because I have a hearing problem and those overseas calls drive me bonkers. Well I did call today and wonder of wonders I got a techie in Tennessee.

The problem turned out to be that ALL of my drivers were disabled. It took almost two hours to get them all restored. It also automatically resized the screen for my ELO monitor.

Again I want to thank you for unselfeshness trying to help me.
Have a wonderful and safe holiday weekend.
bendebear

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:28 PM

Glad you got that strange problem sorted out, and thanks for letting us know! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users