Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What do people think of skype?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:33 AM

Hi,

A friend wants me to put skype on my computer but I am a little weary of it as I have heard a few bad things about it. I was wondering what people think of it. Also are there any better alternatives that I could use for video calls?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 02:13 AM

I have Skype on my computer and have had no problems with it or because of it. The biggest problem I've found is only a couple of people (that I know) have Skype, and they are rarely on when I am. I hear it's very big in Europe.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:38 AM

Not for me.

Edited by dc3, 15 January 2009 - 04:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

A couple of years back I started to talk to an old school friend who emigrated to Australia. I downloaded and installed Skype but we had problems with it crashing all the time. I also found it installed a whole lot of stuff on my machine including a folder with about 500 different skins. It was also a bit of a resource hog as well. I decided to uninstall Skype but it left some remnants behind which I got some help here on how to remove. I then found out from my son that MSN Messenger which I had installed already on my PC could do the same things Skype does. My friend and I have used Messenger since and have never had a problem with it.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#5 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

Don't like skype and videochat overall. I prefer text =)

However, couple of times i used Skype to make international calls, and after a half of year with no calls the money on my account have gone! After that I uninstalled skype and i hope i'll never use it again.

#6 eLenka

eLenka

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:03 AM

I have Skype on my computer and have had no problems with it or because of it.

Absolutely. I often use Skype to chat with my friends from abroad - cool software, working absolutely flawless for me. What kind of "bad things" have you heard, silon and garfunkel?

Edited by eLenka, 16 January 2009 - 08:04 AM.

#7 cheryl g

cheryl g

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:00 PM

My mom has used Skype for about 6 weeks to see her 7 grandkids in PA (we live in KS).

So far she has not had any problems with her computer. It's been a real blessing to her! !

#8 skiplc

skiplc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

I've never had a problem with SKYPE either...been using it at least 3 or 4 years. Often get together on a conference call with 3 friends and catch up on things while playing online poker.

#9 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:48 PM

I started using Skype when they offered the SkypeOut for free.
No problems to report.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#10 silon and garfunkel

silon and garfunkel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, it will give me something to think about.

The negative things that I had heard about skype were that it leaves open ports and that it uses your computer as node on thier network for other peoples calls.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users