Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I got the Wubi blues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 CrutchyT

CrutchyT

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:17 AM

Ok, so I decided to give Ubunto a try via Wubi. Long story short, I had issues with set up, sound being a big one, but nothing too disastrous, but after a modest and confusing amount of tinkering, I felt unsure enough for me to decide that it would be a good idea for me to simply unintsall it, then reinstall and start from scratch.

And So I did just that. First off, even though I uninstalled it, it still appeared on my start up screen, but I forged ahead anyway with the senond install and and couldn't get the it boot up- Busybox warnings about mountings, usplash, infa=someththing or other? So I uninstalled that one, downloaded EasyBCD, and deleted both from the boot up window, then tried a third install, which went suspicioiusly quicker than the first two. Still the same busybox warnings.

The third install is still there, but I just want to know how I can get ALL of it out of my comp. If it can be done in a way that will still allow succesful installation of Wubi again when I feel up to it, great, but right now, I'd settle for deleting any and all traces of it. On EasyBCD I saw some menu items about Grub, a couple partitions of different sizes listed, but I'm unfamiliar with both Linux and EasyBCD , and have no idea what any of that means. I'm a noob, Vista Premium 64 HP dv-7.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer, thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 12:23 AM

During the first install Wubi pulls the ISO and saves it on the Hard Drive.
That explains why it installed faster.
You used EasyBCD to repair the boot menu? Windows boots properly?
Remove Wubi: Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs - Ubuntu.

No "Ubuntu" in the list? Navigate to C:\ubuntu\Uninstall-Ubuntu.exe
This program may ask if you want to save the ISO image. If you think you
might try Wubi at a later time feel free to save it. If you need the disk space
or don't plan on reinstalling go ahead and delete it.

Manual Removal: Remove C:\ubuntu and C:\wubildr*.
For Vista, you can use EasyBCD to edit the boot menu.
Alternatively you can modify the boot menu via control_panel > system > advanced > startup_and_recovery and pressing "Edit"
and delete the Ubuntu/Wubi line.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 CrutchyT

CrutchyT
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

Windows works fine, thanks.

And thanks, but I'm less frustrated with it now, and would like to keep Ubuntu if possible.

Wubi intsalled ridiculously quick the third time, but the second time took just as long as the first. Shouldn't the second time been just as quick?

I have no trouble deleting Ubuntu line from start up, I've done that twice, but I have this third full installation in that doesn't work. I guess I'm unsure what to delete at this point that would allow it to do just that. I don't know if there's something else that needs to be removed first.

I don't know if this helps at all, but on EasyBCD, in "add/remove entries." section, under "Linux"

Type:Grub (other options are LILO, eLILO, FreeBSD, Wubi.)

Name:NeoSmartLinux.

Drive: Three options, I don't have any of them chosen: Drive 0, Partition (HPFS/NTFS-287GB), Partition 1 (HPFS/NTFS-11GB)

So to top it off, I have those three(?) partitions and not sure what to do about that.

At last resort, could I go back to a restore to a point previous to installation? Would that do the trick?

Edited by CrutchyT, 18 January 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#4 CrutchyT

CrutchyT
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

Solved.

It's the wubi.exe file needs to be deleted to be able to properly install. It doesn't get deleted using the control panel uninstall, or using Wubi's own uninstall feature in the Ubuntu folder. You have to track it down in whatever folder you saved Wubi into and and manually delete it.

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:30 AM

Solved.

Thanks for posting a follow-up. Good job getting it resolved. :thumbsup:

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users