Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard for Athlon X2 4200+

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 manillagorilla

manillagorilla

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hi,

I have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 nForce4 that I am fairly certain is starting to fail. I currently have a Athlon X2 4200+ in it.

None of the boards that I have seen are 939 boards any more, they have moved on to AM/AM2+ etc. Will my CPU work in these boards? What about memory? Will I have to upgrade my CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) if I get a new board?

Thanks,

Manilla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:22 PM

Your processor looks fine with the build.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

Motherboards accepting AM2/AM2+ processors are not backwards compatible with Socket 939 processors. Socket AM2 motherboards support DDR2 memory so your standard DDR memory would need to be replaced.

Quote from AMD about AM2:
Q: What are the major differences between socket AM2 and socket 939-pin?
A: Socket AM2 provides support for DDR2 memory. Socket AM2 is almost identical to socket 939 but uses a protective mechanism (a manufacturing “key”) designed to prevent any socket 939-pin CPUs (DDR1 only) from being inserted into a socket AM2 motherboard, and to prevent socket AM2 CPUs (DDR2 only) from being inserted into a socket 939-pin motherboard.

Socket AM2 Information

3939.png

#4 manillagorilla

manillagorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

I have not found any socket 939 boards on the retail sites that I use (Newegg.com). Basically I need a processor, new memory, and a new motherboard?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:15 PM

To try to eliminate confusion:

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware...ws/a64-x2-4200/, this is your current processor.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/373/1/, AM2 processor of the same name/model. I have the AM2 processor in the system that I am currently on :thumbsup:...your thread threw me a bit, at first.

Louis

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

If you want to replace your motherboard, you will also need a new CPU and memory. That's just the way it is. I have an Asus A8N-32 SLI motherboard with a socket 939 processor which I'm planning to upgrade. I can get an upgraded motherboard, 8GB of RAM, and a quad-core Phenom processor for about $300. There are less expensive setups though.

3939.png

#7 manillagorilla

manillagorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:27 PM

Excellent, thanks for the input. I am thinking about the new Phenom II processor, but I will probably wait a month or so to let the price go down a tad.

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

The majority of AM3 processors to be released in Feb. are with clock speeds below the current AM2+ Phenom II's. Only the 925 and the 945 will have similar speeds to what is available now.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users