Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions after recieving a BSOD

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

I have an emachines (Gateway) T6410, 1GB RAM, and a one week old 320GB hard drive. The CPU Case and core stay in the 40 - 45c range and the HD stays in the 38 - 42c range. I am the only user at my home office and use cable broadband through a router. I log on as administrator, but use all browsers and Outlook without administrative rights, using dropmyrights.exe.
I copied my system over to the new drive using Acronis, and it has been working without a glitch since I installed the new drive last week. Today I recieved the only BSOD I've had on this computer in its 2 1/2 years of service.

[attachment=11763:BSOD_sm.jpg]

The events leading up to this were as follows:
The Windows Updates alert appeared in the system tray ready to be installed. I clicked express installation and it began downloading.
While this was happening, NIS 2009 popped up an alert saying it had found a tracking cookie, but I left it alone until the updates had finished.
When Updates finished and asked to reboot, I clicked "Later" so I could investigate the Norton message. It was just a cookie from Tripod.com, so I took the action to quarrantine it.
I then clicked on the Update shield icon and clicked "Reboot." The system went through a seemingly normal shut down and then threw up the BSOD.

I pushed the power button to shut the machine down and waited a minute. When I powered back up, it stopped at a screen saying Windows had not shut down properly and gave me a choice of last known good config or normal startup. While I was scratching my head like a dufus, it went ahead and started to reboot, but a second or two into the Windows XP screen with the progress bar, it popped up the same BSOD.
I rebooted again, choosing last known good config and it booted perfectly.
It had logged a System Event 7026 - Boot or system failed to load: SRTSP. That's a Symantec file.
I ran Chkdsk /F and there were no errors. I then ran a full virus scan and it came up clean too.

While brushing up on SFC before running it, I found three I386 folders. One is at C:\I386, one is at Windows\I386 and the other is in my BART PE folder. They are all different in size and content. The registry points to the one at c:\windows. That one is significantly larger than the other two.

So, here are my questions:
1. Has anyone experienced a BSOD after today's Windows Updates?
2. Why the difference in I386 folders?
3. Are there any other diagnostic actions I should take?
4. In general, what do you think of all this?

After not ever having a system failure of any sort on this machine, this has me a liottle worried.

Thanks,
Rusty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:15 PM

Microsoft Support FULL Troubleshooter

Most likely the troubleshooter listed above will take care of your specific issue.

In addition to the troubleshooter, I recommend that you make sure you have all the latest Windows Updates and Service packs for your version of Windows XP. You can find these and many more helpful software at Microsoft Windows Update.

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:18 PM

I should have added, I have XP SP3 with all updates. It was right after today's updates that it crashed. Thanks for the link, I'm off to read it right now.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:01 AM

FWIW: I just installed the two updates from WinUpdate, no problems.

That error message you received is probably one each of us has seen at some time. As it states, if this is a non-routine event...I follow the guidance given and just treat it as an idiosyncracy of the system that could have been caused by a zillion things which I don't feel are worth investigating.

Repetive errors of that sort would probably mean a system problem of some sort and, hopefully, I would be able to track it down by using the tools available for troubleshooting.

The fact that NIS was active during an attempt to install an update including the Malicious Hardware tool may have resulted in a hiccup...I don't know. Generally, I have noticed that XP tends to minimize active processes during installation of critical updates...so I wouldn't be surprised if a hiccup did occur when NIS was running.

Louis

#5 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

Thanks Louis. I feel like that's the likely case too, especially since the System Event Viewer pointed to a Symantec file.
The different I386 folders are just a curiosity, I don't plan to change any of them, and I do have an XP CD, although this is the original OEM installation. I still have not run SFC. I may do that after I finish my critical work on the computer this morning.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:31 AM

I have never concerned myself with i386 folders...that is, until I tried to find out if there was an alternative to running sfc /scannow with the XP CD.

At that time, I found that I had several on the system...one each at the 2 XP locations you mentioned (I don't use Bart PE).

So yours appear to be normal, according to this system I'm on :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users