Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best wireless router for the $$$

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:48 PM

I need to upgrade to a good wireless router, opinions appreciated.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Linksys WRT 54G

Stable, great in home router.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:42 PM

Thanks looks like s decent piece, how is the range. I don't have a big place but will be doing two floors at opposite ends of the house

#4 Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

Guest_Jay-P VIP_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:18 AM

Range...might be a problem. The issue with Linksys sometimes, is that the routers are best if the client computer is close to the router.

NETGEAR Routers will do better.

#5 Firminator

Firminator

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

Use D-Link DIR-655 , It may cost a bit more but it is great for high speed internet.

Oh I foregot to say it can support up to 1 Gigiabit and also has a range of like 50Metres.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:12 PM

Well after talking to two different vendors both said that a WRT160N router that was the way to go, they work for different stores but both said better speed and range. I have read a few of the reviews which has me not opening the box so far, seems like a lot of pros & cons. I know I will never realize the full potential of an N router, what are the thoughts of the fine minds up here. I think I got a good deal at $69.95 maybe not!

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 26 January 2009 - 08:23 PM.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 07:56 PM

Personally I like to be able to see the antennae. You wont get the full benefits of Draft N if your computers are not equipped with Draft N NIC's (Network Interface Card). Distance from the router, Walls, Heating Ducts, and wiring will all affect how well your router functions. If after trying the Draft N router you are unable to get a good signal you could try a repeater.

Edit: I have a two floor 3bdrm Condo and I use a WRT54G router and I can get a signal on my Palm TX in every room of the house and in the Garage which shares a common wall with the condo. Good cheap router and even adding a repeater is cheaper than some of the Draft N routers.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 28 January 2009 - 07:58 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:23 PM

Got everthing up and running, no way to gauge performance of the 160, I did do the following. I went about 75 feet out into my back yard nearly to the fence still showed a strong signal, I then went down into the basement still showed strong. Being a little foolish I actually got down Behind a big freezer and the signal dropped to low, the router is on the second floor on the other end of the house maybe 40 feet and several walls away. I am more then pleased with its peformance but as many have said the 54G would have also done just as good a job. Thanks for the input from all of you!

Phil

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 05:38 AM

Glad you got it up and working :thumbsup: While the WRT54G has worked for a few of us it may have not gotten the job done in your case. I believe you made a good choice since it does the job you needed. :huh:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users