Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New HP color Laser 1312 USB connection wrecking all my other USB drivers when connected!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lorabrown

lorabrown

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:46 PM

My new HP color laserjet 1312 USB printer/multi function machine wrecks my USB drives when connected, to the point that I called my paid tech and paid him to update all the drivers. He finally gave up, could not solve the problem, and i asked to leave due to the high hourly rate. as he left he suggested I disconnect and/or uninstall the HP as a trial/error to see if the USB's came back when not connected. THEY ALL WORK FINE when the HP is both uninstalled and disconnected, and as well when the HP is installed, yet disconnected and turned off! What gives. THis is XP PRo, SP2 (has SP3 but took it off with hopes it was part of the problem), on a dell 2400 dimension with 1gb of ram. all should be fine.
My next move is to ask HP if I can connect the new printer with a serial port converter thingy, going out of the printer as USB (the only option), and into my tower with a converter cable into the serial port or something like that. However my manual does not even MENTION using this connection, so they would probably prefer I not do that, not to mention that it might slow me down.
I have plans to call HP for help, but we all know what that will be like. I also bought a new USB cable, and am getting ready to try it but dread the complications.
Any advise would be so so helpful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:11 AM

Why not just buy a PCI USB 2.0 card for that printer to use, since all of your USB ports seem to do fine with it not joining the huddle :thumbsup:?

Costs less than $10, a lot less than paid tech support. Examples at http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

Even available at Walmart (we pay for convenience): http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9872271

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2009 - 09:11 AM.

#3 lorabrown

lorabrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:21 AM

Thank you Louis! Would never in a million years have thought of this, but it is so efficient.
I am feeling a slightly intimidates by installing the card, but I have installed replacement video cards and additional memory into this tower before, surely I can do this. Consult the manual for the machine right? Or any other advise before I jump in. -Lora

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:59 AM

Just out of curiosity, are there any errors showing up in the Event Viewer at these times?

Event Viewer: Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 lorabrown

lorabrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:54 PM

Hopefully not any error messages there, as the paid tech should have looked into this event viewer when he was trying to solve my problem. However I will plug up the HP as instructed, after I unplugg my USB accessories of course, and then look at the event viewer myself to see for certain. Thanks, I will report if there is an error message and be interested in your thoughts.

#6 lorabrown

lorabrown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:04 PM

on a whim I replaced the usb cord purchased for the printer, bought a new one, non gold one just for kicks, and all works flawlessly now. could be I had a bad cable? who cares really cause it all works fine now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

I've seen stranger things than this, glad to see that you have it sorted out. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users