Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multi-function panel kills onboard audio

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

hi all - purchased Silverstone FP32 http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_c...=fp32&area= provides front panel support for USB and Audio (line out and mic) . unit comes with two connectors for audio, azalia and ac97. motherboard is Abit AN7 with onboard ac97 . stupid me plugs the azalia connector into the motherboard header (both connectors are the same block, 10 pin with one hole covered over so it only plugs in one way) and start the computer. well of course there is no sound as the AN7 does not support HD audio(azalia). i shut down and change to the ac97. start up and still no sound. remove ac97 connector and replace jumpers on header and there is no sound from my back panel. ?@#*. uninstall and reinstall the Nvidia audio drivers still no sound. windows lists nvidia driver as playback device(control panel) player doesn't complain about audio problem and equalizer spectrum shows it is playing but no sound from speakers (and yes they are plugged in with volume up on master, player, and speakers and i tested the speakers on another machine - they work).
the pin out on the azalia and ac97 are very similar so correct me if i am wrong but i don't think i created a short with the azalia connector.

Q. could windows have recognized the HD audio connection and somehow stuck with it?

in bios i only have the option to enable or disable onboard audio so i disabled onboard and tried a sound card. uninstalled nvidia drivers and installed creative drivers and that worked. i have sound through the sound card.

Q. how the hell did i ruin the onboard sound and can it be fixed?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:55 PM

hi all
no takers on this one i guess. here is motherboard pin out:
Posted Image

here is the front panel connectors:
Posted Image

also i emailed SilverStoneTec to see what they say. i will let you know.

#3 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

here is the reply from SilverStone, which i must say was very quick:

Hi Caperdog,

there is now way you can damage or cause a conflict by connecting the wrong plug on the Audio port of your motherboard, you may just try to enable the onboard soundcard that way you enable the front audio ports, also if your sound card has the option for front audio you can also connect the front audio port on the sound card

Thank You

Joel

13626 Monte vista Ave
Unit A
Chino CA 91710
909 465 9596 telephone
909 4659569 fax
www.silverstonetek.com

#4 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:54 PM

more banter with joel:

hi Joel
thanks for the fast reply
onboard audio was enabled in bios when i first installed FP32. your saying i should try it again,which i will but probably not tonight. (hockey game)
is there a possibility of a short in the FP32 cable that could cause the motherboard grief ? like conflicting signals or voltages ? understand i am not trying to lay blame i just want to fix the problem. i have the product in another computer and it works fine.

thanks
Caperdog

-----------------------------------------

Caperdog,

I don't think there was a short there is no reason for that, what I'm thinking is that whenever you install a pci sound card the motherboard will dectect it and disable the onboard card

Joel

------------------------------------------------

Joel,

the pci sound card was installed as a last resort because onboard sound, when enabled in bios just would not work. onboard sound was disabled in bios before installing the pci sound card. this is pin out on motherboard

pin 4 would be positive voltage(i am assuming this because it is not called ground) deliver to the presence contact on the azalia. which wire would that voltage return on ?

i removed pci sound card to try it again with just the jumpers on the header and enabled in bios (as it was when it worked) and there is still no sound being delivered to speakers. audio controller is listed as working in device manager and no IRQ conflicts. player plays the song and the equalizer spectrum and vu meter shows sound is being generated but it is not making it out to jacks in the back or front panel.

Caperdog

#5 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:31 PM

silverstone tech speaks again:

Hi,

so the rear audio ports are working? if yes what software is your motherboard sound card is using? realtek? if yes all you have to do is on realtek setting you need to disable the front auto sensing or auto detection

Joel

--------------------------------------------

hi again

no the rear audio ports are not working . i will look for realtek settings athought i' m not sure where to look, they are not in bios and it was nvidia software that was controling the onboard sound.

Caperdog

#6 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:40 PM

i will give this up now as it seems to be a lost cause. it could be that it was coincidence and it was time for the onboard sound to die.

anyhows the pci sound card is working so my daughter is happy and in a year or so i will remove the motherboard to see what is burnt.

if the mods would like to scrub this whole solo exchange its ok with me.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

I'm sorry for no responses
Your problem has me stumped. I would have to say it's just coincidence
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 caperdog

caperdog
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 06:22 PM

thanks for input garmanma

the one good thing about all of this is it brought me back to Bleeping Computer, where i answered some questions and hoped that i helped, and even stuck my nose in where it didn't belong. all the while the responses i've read were direct, honest, polite, and knowledgeable. some with a nice side order of humor.

Hats off to you all!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

Don't be a stranger
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users