Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help on Video Card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ainamor

ainamor

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:29 PM

Ok, I have an older HP and would like to change the Video Card. What would be a good Video Card for a PCI or AGP to be able to run games like Everquest and Vanguard? What should I be looking at when I buy the card? Any help is appreciated. I'm still learning some of this stuff.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

More info needed
Model number of the computer, how much memory do you have right now. Does it have the stock power supply?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ainamor

ainamor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

More info needed
Model number of the computer, how much memory do you have right now. Does it have the stock power supply?

what I have is a HP a350n with 2GB RAM (4X512). Pentium IV 2.6 I don't know what the stock power supply is. About 3 years ago I bought a NVIDIA card and it worked for about a year till smoke came out of it. Cannot remember what card was it since I just went to the store and got a PCI card. It was one of the newer ones at that time since I paid for it about $200. Also I am running XP Home.

Well, I took a look and right now inside is a PNY GE force FX5200 DDR 256 MB PCI

and I'm aiming to replace it with

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814143102 which is an AGP (is there any difference in performance between AGP card and PCI card?)

Edited by ainamor, 14 January 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:42 AM

Agp will perform better. That's an decent card
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

Just make sure you have a 350W power supply to use that video card.

3939.png

#6 ainamor

ainamor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:17 PM

Just make sure you have a 350W power supply to use that video card.

yea I ordered a new power supply too since the one inside was only 250W. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users