Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm# and http:/// shows as URL

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:58 PM

I have a customer's computer that is not accessing the internet. I have scanned it and found absolutely nothing using SAS and MBAM in normal and safe modes. I'm 99% sure it's not infected. Installed Firefox and it does not help. So it doesn't seem to be a simple browser setting. I can ping every computer on my network as well as the router. I can access my router settings thru IE. Just to rule out a bad ethernet port, I installed a new NIC card and it did not fix the problem.

I've reset winsock, both manually and using winsockxpfix program. I tried another program call lspfix.exe. I've checked and rechecked all Internet Option settings that I know of (automatic IP address and DNS, etc) Comparing his ipconfig /all results with my own computer's ipconfig /all results show no difference except for the IP address, of course.

I can open no web page that I've tried and I always get the same status message on the bottom:
Waiting for Res://ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm# then the "Web page cannot be displayed" page pops up. Running the little network diagnostic tool from that page does no good at all.

Oh, and it can't get on the internet in Safe Mode with networking either, so it doesn't seem to be an application that is blocking it. Windows firewall is turned off and no other firewall is installed.

3 other computers on this network connect with no issues.

System details: eMachines T3418 with Windows XP SP2 and IE7.

HELP PLEASE! Give me some sort of option that I haven't already tried. Any help will be appreciated because this has given me a headache for 2 days now.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 possumbarnes

possumbarnes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Well, just to close this topic out, I tried everything I could find Googling and nothing worked.

I did a system repair using his recovery disc and it got him back online. So it was definitely a Windows issue, but it would be nice to know what exactly it was.
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

#3 chrisatbluescreen

chrisatbluescreen

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:17 PM

I'm going to say that you are correct, as far as it being a windows issue. From my research it seems to a cumulative update problem. the only temporary fix i've seen,
is a few different disables, and round these parts, we aren't fans of temporary fixes. Sorry if my explanation is vague, but i'm a lazy dude. :thumbsup:
"What I cannot create, I do not understand"
Richard Feynman
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users