Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer blue screen reboot

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 darlin1937

darlin1937

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

I am running Windows XP Home edition
300 GB hard drive
2 GB Ram

for the past 3 weeks, my computer has been rebooting, and nothing has been a repeat
for the reason .

I can be doing most anything.....mostly it does it if i am watching a movie or viewing
a tv show, at least that is when it does it the most. Does it other times also.

These are a few of the messages i have gotten (on the blue screen)
BAD_POOL_HEADER....0X00000019

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
0X0000004e

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
0X000000FE

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0X0000000A

I have had other messages, but these are the ones i copied down.

Previously , when it first started happening, the computer just rebooted......
I went into My Computer...Properties...Advanced Tab and clicked the setting under STARTUP AND RECOVERY
under system failure I UNCHECKED AUTO RESTART..

that is how i have been getting the messages above.

Can anyone help me with this issue.
I have read a lot on each different number code but getting all sorts of things, from tower getting too hot
to bad RAM......i have added fans......and switched the locaitons on the RAM to see if one would stop working
doesn't seem to be the problem.

I read someone that it could be my power supply, will try that after i hear from someone on this site, to make
sure i am going in the right direction.

There have been days when i didn't get one reboot...and others i get about 5 of them.

I will look forward to any input i can get here.

Thank You
Darlene

Hope i posted in the right place.......Please let me know if i am not.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sync0s

sync0s

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:55 PM

I've done a little research on the stop error codes you provided. Have you upgraded any hardware or device drivers before the problems occured? After researching the stop error codes, here is what MSDN is saying:

BAD_POOL_HEADER - Invalid pool header

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT - Incompatible hardware

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER - Invalid USB URB parameter

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - Driver requesting invalid memory address

The first two errors are indicating either incompatible hardware or hardware failure. The fourth is indicating bad drivers or third party applications that were recently installed generated errors during boot. If you have added hardware recently I'd check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List and remove any incompatible hardware. Otherwise, try booting into safe mode and going to 'Last Known Good Configuration.' If that doesn't work, run the Windows Recovery Console

Edited by sync0s, 14 January 2009 - 08:57 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:09 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Can we get a little info about the system?

Computer manufacturer and model?

How much RAM/memory installed?

How large is your C: partition? How much free space on it?

How large is your hard drive? How much free space on it?

Have you run any tests on your hard drive yet?

Have you run any tests on your memory yet?

Any system changes that occurred at approximately the same time your troubles began?

Are any red or yellow markings reflected in Device Manager? Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit either OK or Enter.

Louis

#4 darlin1937

darlin1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 10:39 AM

Computer manufacturer and model? DELL DESKTOP DIMENSION(BUT HAVE UPGRADED THE MOTHERBOARD/CPU/RAM

How much RAM/memory installed? 2GB

How large is your C: partition? How much free space on it? 300GB/NOT PARTITIONED/FREE SPACE 254GB

How large is your hard drive? How much free space on it? SEE ABOVE

Have you run any tests on your hard drive yet? YES, I HAVE AVAST ANTI VIRUS/SPBOT S&d/CCLEANER/BOCLEAN ( A couple of times when i was running AVAST virus scan , the computer rebooted ....even tried it in "safe mode" still did it.
I have to run the virus scan when i first get on my computer.....most of the time that works.Shows no virus.

Have you run any tests on your memory yet? I HAVE READ ABOUT MEMORY TESTS, BUT HAVE NOT UNDERTAKEN ANY.
I HAVE SWITCHED THE MEMORY CARDS AROUND BUT NO DIFFERENCE

Any system changes that occurred at approximately the same time your troubles began? I HAD A DIFFERENT MOTHERBOARD, CPU/RAM/ HARD DRIVE PUT IN THIS COMPUTER BUT IT WORKED FINE , WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THE ONBOARD SOUND
CARD DID NOT WORK. HAD TO USE THE SOUND CARD FROM MY OLD COMPUTER.(sorry for the caps) thought it would make
my replies easier to read)

Are any red or yellow markings reflected in Device Manager? Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit either OK or Enter.

See attachments..pictures of my Device Manager file/s

Thank u, i hope this answers your questions.

Darlene

Attached Files

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

Thanks, Darlene, for the great responses/input :thumbsup:.

From a reliable source used by many to get a handle on STOP errors:

0x00000019: BAD_POOL_HEADER
A pool header issue is a problem with Windows memory allocation. Device driver issues are probably the most common, but this can have diverse causes including bad sectors or other disk write issues, and problems with some routers. (By theory, RAM problems would be suspect for memory pool issues, but I havenít been able to confirm this as a cause.)

0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists.

0x000000FE: BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER
Usually indicates a USB driver problem. Make sure, though, that you have the latest Windows service pack installed.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

The common element that I would see in diverse STOP errors such as these...would be that they all affect RAM, if not occur in RAM (with exception to the USB driver error noted).

A look at your Device Manager indicates that the system doesn't think it has any driver problems and, for the moment, I will agree.

There are two components that I think should be tested immediately: RAM and your hard drive. Fortunately, we have reliable diagnostic tests which a user can employ to check these two items out. It will take a little time (it's probably best to run Memtest overnight and the hard drive diagnostic may take a couple of hours), but it will be time well-spent, if only we can eliminate/confirm any suspicion that might be cast on these two components.

Although the detail you provided was great, it doesn't tell me what components you replaced the original CPU/motherboard/RAM with. There may have been an inconsistency with the components installed, since you say that your system troubles began at that point.

Can you tell us what motherboard (brand and model)?

The RAM data we can actually get from the Memtest run and I can see that you installed a P4 CPU running at 2.8.

I'd also like to know...why such wholesale changes at once?

Any known malware issues, before the change or since?

Now to address the hard drive test. To run the diagnostic, you will need to download a small program and then either burn it to CD or put it on floppy (some users have no floppy drives/floppies).

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/self...sp?DocId=201271

In order to run it, you will have to change the boot order in the BIOS. Current settings probaby call for the hard drive as the first boot device. In order to boot from the floppy drive and run the diagnostic, the first boot option must be changed in your BIOS settings.

Now, the RAM test. Similar procedure, with the exception that you will download an .iso file from the Memtest site.

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Once you have the .iso file, you must also download a program which will burn the .iso file into a bootable CD. There are any number of programs that perform this somewhat "special" function of turning .iso files into bootable CDs. I tend to use Active@ ISO Burner - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm because I think it's easy. The important thing is to use an .iso-burning program so that the result will be a bootable CD, not just a CD.

Once you have the bootable CD made, it's the same drill for running the diagnostic: Change the boot options in the BIOS, let the CD do its job.

This may seem like a lot...it seems like a lot to me. If you have any questions about anything I've asked or attempted to spell out...ask :flowers:. Someone here will clarify, correct...whatever might be necessary.

Louis

#6 darlin1937

darlin1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:04 PM

Thank u so much for the reply.......only thing that comes to mind is WOW.......I am overwhelmed and
totally helpless.........never been into BIOS .

I did not change out the motherboard, a computer shop did that....the motherboard is Foxconn..

The reason for the total upgrade, was due to the computer being about 7 years old.
Had the max RAM..512 Mg.

It was actually crawling.
Since i am 71 and on a fixed income, i was hoping that upgrading would be cheaper than buying
a new computer. I also did not want to deal with VISTA.

The computer shop was not able to "ghost" my old hard drive (80GB) to a new one 300GB.
So i had to start all over......they were able to get windows OS up and running, tho i had to start
over from scratch.

I am afraid that i don't have the capability of doing the recommended testing of hard drive and ram.
I don't have the money to take this computer to a shop ....again. It cost me too much as is, i would
have been smarter to purchase a new one. I just thought it would be cheaper.
Now i am dealing with these problems.

Again, thank u for trying to help me....i do know a little about my computer (probably enough to be dangerous)

One more thing, my problems did NOT start after i first had the upgrade done. It just started happening about a month or so ago.....i really don't remember exactly when.....(one of those , if i close my eyes real tight, problems will disappear)
Guess i don't deal with things not working right , very well.

Another point ,I don't know if this has an impact but is 350Watt power supply sufficient?
Also the onboard sound card did not work, so the sound card from the old computer was used.

What i noticed yesterday, i was watching a movie, it played for about 20 minutes, did the reboot ERROR thing,
i rebooted, started watching again, and it rebooted with an error message after 10 minutes.
From that point on i did NOT watch any movies.
Seems if i just do normal computer usuage, i am ok. Hope this helps.

I am attaching some information, hope it might help.

I also have "LookINMYPC" program....if there is any info there, i can send u, i will be happy to

I am using the best little program for printing part of screen, etc.."faststone Capture"

Thank u again, so very much

Darlene

Attached Files

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Well...we don't charge anything when we try to help...so let's pursue that route first and foremost :thumbsup:. You do not have to take your system anywhere to do the tests for the hard drive and memory/RAM...those are done by your using the diagnostic programs linked to previously.

As for the 350 power supply...IMO, that should be no problem with the items you have installed/connected.

<<...I am overwhelmed and totally helpless.........never been into BIOS .>>

I had never been in the BIOS before...until I decided that I would at least like to look around :flowers:. It's not intimidating, easy to get into...which is why your owner's manual usually contains instructions on how to get in. For many users, they just have to tap the Delete key periodically when the system first begins to boot.

FWIW: I'm 62 and live on a fixed income, we can do what needs to be done :trumpet:.

Louis

#8 darlin1937

darlin1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

thank u again for the vote of confidance....right now dealing with hot water line froze. Illinois weather has been below
0 for a couple of days. Lots of people in the same situation...now back to the computer

I went to "seagate Technology. for SeaTools and got lost.....so many things to chose from and i have no idea which to chose
I did the d/l exe....but it would not run had an error message come up.when i tried to do a scan.

'STXON.EXE HAS ENCOUNTERED A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO CLOSE"

I tried it a couple of times more, and finally just uninstalled it.

Darlene

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

Have you looked inside the case recently? Do you have a build up of dust? If there is a build up of dust, especially on and inside the heat sink and fan assembly on the CPU, it can cause a overheating situation which can produce these results.

You also may wish to run a chkdsk.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

In your case click on both options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:25 AM

Sorry about the link...they've turned getting this simple diagnostic into a data-gathering mechanism...I didn't know that. I don't even want to go through the maze they have erected, but I did...I did get a download that installed, but that utility does not work properly on either of my two systems and one system has a Seagate drive.

Disturbing and discouraging...I allso finally have uninstalled both from my systems.

I really don't know what to think about Seagate, other than my respect for them has gone down...their former utilities worked quite well, IMO.

In lieu of running the manufacturer's utility, let's run chkdsk /r on the drive.

Boot into XP...after all is settled, go Start/Run and type chkdsk /r in the box (be sure that there is a space between the k and the /) and hit Enter or OK.

A black screen appears, informing you that chkdsk cannot run now and asking if you want it to run on the next boot. Type y and hit Enter. The black screen disappears.

Reboot the system and chkdsk will run before your desktop loads, allow it to run to completion. The system will reboot when the tool has completed its function.

My apologies.

Louis

#11 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:25 PM

I am eager to see the memory and HDD test results

#12 darlin1937

darlin1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

This is the best HELP site online...

Thanx to all for the comeback.

Item #1: all clean in the computer, just had it open a couple of days ago....2 fans running perfectly (did have
to replace them, they both quit working) the reason behind having the cover off.

Item #2: I am not going to follow instructions on the check disk and see what comes up, I will keep u posted.

Again, HUGS to all

Darlene :thumbsup:

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:44 PM

Item #2: I am not going to follow instructions on the check disk and see what comes up, I will keep u posted.

Darlene :thumbsup:

I hope that this is a typo and that you are going to run the chkdsk. :flowers:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 darlin1937

darlin1937
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:10 PM

oh dear, sorry about the NOT...... :thumbsup:
Must be the extreme cold we have been having......now the temps aren't bad, but the wind is atrocious.

I did run the check disk.....now where do i get the results to post here?

Thanx again.ALL

Darlene

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

The details of the chkdsk can be found in the Event Viewer.

The results of a CHKDSK conducted on restart Windows XP are written to the Application Log tab of the Event Viewer. It will be reflected as an Information item (not an error), with a "Source" name of Winlogon. Double-clicking on that line item will provide summary results of the check.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

One way to access Event Viewer:

Open Control Panel
Open Administrative Tools
Launch Event Viewer
Select Application

You can click the columnar heading to put all the items in alphabetical order on the Application log, making it easier to find Winlogon entries.

I never bother checking the results of a chkdsk, but I suppose that the figure reported for bad sectors could be significant or interpreted as such.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 January 2009 - 05:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users