Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need new a DVD burner...any recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hercules1

Hercules1

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

My burner is going. It's a Philips 8631 that came in my Dell Dimension 8400. I must have been one of the lucky ones because I've discovered the 8631 appearantly had a reputation of working or not. Mine worked, but, only after updating the firmware. Anyways, it's giving me problems now. I ran Nero CD-DVD speed tool. I burned a test dvd and during the anylsis of that dvd, I got an ugly number of errors...in the millions. Then I started getting "focus servo failure" errors. I decided instead of fighting with tracking the problem down, I'd just replace it instead. Especially since the cost of burners isn't that much now. As a result, I have a couple questions.

First, the Philips 8631 uses an IDE connection. The motherboard in my Dimension 8400 has SATA connections too. My first instinct is to leave it alone and stick with IDE since the working dvd-rom drive is IDE and the Philips is connected on the same ribbon. I think it would be easier to replace with another IDE dvd burner than creating a situation where there is an IDE dvd-rom drive and a SATA dvd-burner. Am I wrong about this and should concider an SATA or stick with my gut and get another IDE dvd burner?

Second, what dvd burner is good now? I guess what I mean is, what is a great/reliable dvd burner? I use Verbatim DVD-R discs (up to 16x) and have had great success with Memorex CD-R discs (up to 52x). Besides, I have about 50 of each sitting in front of me as I type this and don't want to waste them if the drive I get is tempermental about media. I did a search on this forum and the internet to see if I could find something, but, either the information is limited, outdated, or ends up like a Ford vs Chevy discussion.

Lastly, I did see a couple burners that grabbed my attention, but, they are newer and have limited user reviews/opinions. So, does anyone have any information on the Pioneer DVR-116DBK (or maybe it was 116D), Lite-On iHAP422-08, Lite-On DH-20A4P-04, and LG GH22LP20?

Any thoughts, help, recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:34 AM

I've used several Pioneer's for a few years now and have no complaints
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 17 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

I've used several Pioneer's for a few years now and have no complaints

I also use Pioneer DVR-1910 LS 20X speed and will "LightScribe" monochrome Labels, go with Pioneer, mine came with NERO 8 included! Cheers!
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#4 Hercules1

Hercules1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the recommendation! I find myself favoring the Pioneer DVR-116DBK now. At first I was favoring the Lite-On iHAP422, but, as I searched all over the internet for opinions on that drive, I began noticing some concern being expressed over the iHAP drives. Usually, they're concern was followed by a comment about hopefully a future firmware update will help them. Also, since it is appearantly a newer release, I have yet to see an actual review of the 422. I just think it's too new to take a chance on. The Pioneer has been around long enough now to given me more confidence in purchasing it. Thanks again for the help!

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:12 PM

I've used several different burners over the years, but I've been most impressed with Pioneer. They are very quiet and have worked for years. Pioneer seems to always bundle NERO with the retail versions, which is nice if you need burning software. The newer version of NERO are getting annoying, but it still works well. I recently purchased a SATA Pioneer and so far it works beautifully. My computer case (Thermaltake Soprano DX) has an aluminum front panel that closes with a small magnet. The new drive is strong enough to open the front panel (which is the whole front face) when it is done burning. I think it's funny, but I try not to let that happen cause it can't be good on the motor...

#6 Hercules1

Hercules1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:01 AM

YHB318, thanks for the input. Your impression of Pioneer burners seems to reflect what I'm seeing as I search for info on dvd burners. I'm 99% certain I'm going to order the 116DBK. I keep reminding myself that the Philips 8631 that came with my computer had a lot of user complaints, and, certainly more than any of the dvd burners I'm looking at now. I figure I almost can't go wrong with any of the burners I was interested in. I just wanted to make sure I made an informed decision on which one.

As for burning software, I'vd had Nero 7 Ultra for a least 2 years now. I've been very happy with it and don't have any plans on going to the newer Nero versions. I do look forward to seeing how a new drive will work with it.

Unfortunately, I won't get the chance to order in the 116DBK for a couple weeks probably. I've been putting off getting tires for my truck for a couple months now...it's hard to part with almost $900 for tires until I absolutely have to. To make matters worse, I have to replace upper and lower ball joints, brakes and rotors on my wifes truck too. So, I'm about to dump at least $1400 into our trucks at one time. I need a breather after that. Of course, I may get impatient and just order it now anyways...what's another $30.

Thanks again for the help!

#7 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:46 PM

No problem! Nero 7 seems to be much better (at least better laid out) than Nero 8 which came with my newest drive, so you should be in great shape! Good luck with your trucks... I'm looking at $300 for tires and I thought that was a lot... I miss the old days of $19 tires! Do any cars have 12 or 13 inch wheels anymore? Hooray for tax refunds...

#8 Hercules1

Hercules1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

I'm glad to hear Nero 7 is worth keeping. I like the program and see no reason to replace something that's not broke.

On the down side, I see that newegg isn't offering free shipping on the 116DBK now. I'll just check the site daily to see if they offer it again.

I would kill to only have to spend $300 for tires. The main reason my tires are so expensive is they're Load Range E tires. That's the price for having a 4x4 3/4 ton Ram with a Cummins diesel that collectively weighs 3.5 ton un-loaded. I do actually use the truck for it's intended purpose...actual hauling. I did remember a place today that sales Cooper Tires and they want $700 and give a 50000 mi warranty with them. I've used them on other trucks in the past and was pleased, so, I'll just go there again and save some cash. I'm just glad Cooper hasn't jacked their prices up as much as the others. I guess I'll be able to order in the dvd burner and some other parts sooner than expected.

I almost forgot, I think those Smart Cars have 12" or 13" wheels. Which, btw, is a good indicator that it might fit in the bed of my truck.

#9 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

Did you know you can set NewEgg up to notify you if they offer free shipping on that drive? Look for the Price Alert button.

I'm pretty sure you actually could fit a smart car in your truck. They're about 8 feet long, I think. And you could probably load it in there by yourself!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users