Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iceman2424

Iceman2424

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

I created a few projects in windows movie maker using the new vista version. After deciding I hate vista I downgraded back to XP. I now want to continue working on those movie projects in XP but I keep getting the error message: The file was created by a version of windows movie maker that is not supported. Is there somthing I can do to fix this problem?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

It's because the version of windows movie maker that you used to make these projects is different in XP. Try to download the same version of windows movie maker that you used on vista for xp. And that will fix it. Hopefully. :thumbsup:
" Determination is the cause of Intervention."-Muhammad Shariq

#3 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:04 PM

What version of windows movie maker were you using on vista and what version are you using on xp?

#4 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:11 PM

But now that I think about it, it might be impossible to fix this problem. Since you used a totally different version of movie maker on vista which is designed and only compatible with vista and a whole different version of movie maker on xp that is designed for xp. Therefore, it would be considered almost impossible to make a movie maker presentation display with a version of windows movie maker that is not even meant to display it. If there would've been a way to convert it to be compatible xp then it would work. But I think there isn't.

#5 genius12

genius12

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:23 PM

First make backup copies for your movie maker project. Then maybe you could try using AVS Video Converter. Convert your project to avi format and try playing it with movie maker. If doesn't work, still convert it to avi format and then convert the new converted project of yours back into windows movie maker format. That migh just work.

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:47 AM

Just to confirm what genius12 posted.
MM Vista projects are not compatible with MM XP.
Projects started in XP can be imported into Vista,
but once you do that the project can not go back to MM XP.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users