Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

svchost issues on Vista

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AnonymousUser

AnonymousUser

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:02 PM

I didn't know where to post this, but my svchost.exe stays at a constant 50% and never changes. It never used to do this, but recently it has, even with the same programs installed.

Sometimes other programs, like firefox, will use 40% memory as well. I've scanned with several different virus scanners and there doesn't seem to be a problem.

Any resolutions? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:49 AM

Hi AnonymousUser,

Please see the below tutorial which will help you to determine what services are running under svchost.exe

There will be several svchost.exe files running at a time and you need to determine which one is running the service that is using up so much of your cpu. Then you can decide if that is a service that you need or not, and if not, disable it. Go to the below link and in the Table of Contents, click on the link at number 4 which will take you to the part about Vista.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/list-services-running-under-svchost.exe-process/

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 16 January 2009 - 08:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users