Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

THE FAMOUS USBEHCI.SYS ERROR

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 toe_knee

toe_knee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:41 PM

Hi folks

I have a dell dimension 4000 and upgraded the hard drive to 160 gb hitachi.
Xp Home reinstalled from the oem discs with no problems
upgraded to sp1a with no problems
when upgrading to sp2 or 3 the computer would only boot in safe mode.
After much googling i decided to go down the route of making a slipstream disc with sp2 using nlite.
I was able to create the disc with no problems and when inserted in the dell the installation begins.
After loading various drivers and getting so far, the message 'the file usbehci.sys is corrupted press any key to continue' and i cannot proceed with the installation.
i have been googling this for several days now and none of the forums offered any solution though it seems many have had this problem.
If anyone here can help with this situation or has found the definitive solution it would be very much appreciated.

thank you in advance for all and any replies.

Edited by toe_knee, 14 January 2009 - 03:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

You may have a faulty or scratched CD. I would try burning a new CD and then reinstall.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 toe_knee

toe_knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:20 PM

sorry budapest, i should have said, i have burned the image successfully onto several different discs with the same results, thanks though.

Edited by toe_knee, 15 January 2009 - 12:23 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

If you are saying that you burned other CDs from the same master...and have the same error...that makes sense.

FWIW: http://www.file.net/process/usbehci.sys.html

The suggestion to make a new slipstreamed CD...using something other than what you have been using as a master...makes sense to me.

I've made slipstreamed CDs that had hiccups like that, I just went back to the drawing board and used a different CD as the master (I have about 4/5 XP install CDs).

Louis

#5 toe_knee

toe_knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

Thanks Louis,

yes to date in my attempts to create the slipstream disc i have used my own dell eom disc, a friends dell oem disc, and even an oem disc i bought for my hp laptop (though i now realise the dell serial wont work with that last disc) all with the same result that all i can install on my dell is xp with sp1, any attempts to upgrade give the stated results. i have now created a slipstream disc with sp3 which gets me further into the instal, i get as far as selecting the partition to instal, the partitioning process shows that it reaches 100% then the statement 'setup was unable to format the partition the disc may be damaged' appears and i am unable to continue. Yet after that message, if i use the original dell oem disc i can instal it fine and upgrade to sp1a with no problems. i have indeed updated the dell bios before all of this so at the moment i remain puzzled.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

<<...setup was unable to format the partition the disc may be damaged' appears...>>

Unfortunately, this appears to happen to various users who have tried various methods of overcoming it, with no standard resolution that I can see.

But I suggest taking a look at http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1118509632 . The comments there might contain something that will better assist you.

If it were me, I would go the low-level format route and then try the install. If nothing else, I would run the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the disk and see what the results are.

IMO, the fact that the pre-SP CD installs, but the others don't...say that the other disks (for whatever reason) probably need to be made anew if you want a reliable slipstreamed CD for XP install.

FWIW: My slipstreamed CDs are all made with Microsoft XP CDs providing the base, I don't have any Dell, HP, etc. install CDs.

FWIW: http://www.windowsbbs.com/windows-xp/46455...ows-xp-sp2.html

Louis

#7 toe_knee

toe_knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

well the plot thickens, following a suggestion on louis' first link i created a smaller partition and chose to format in fat32, this completed to 100% and when the instal began i got the message that the folder \windows could not be found. i then downloaded the hitachi diagnostic tool and created the floppy to check the disc, it came out absolutely fine with no errors. I've created a second set of slipstream discs today but with exactly the same results. Also created slipstream discs using a microsoft xp with sp3 disc as the base and got the same problems at the format stage. I'm flummoxed as to what to try next but at the moment can't afford the £60.00 that it costs to buy a new oem disc that includes sp2 or 3.

#8 toe_knee

toe_knee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:35 PM

Well i've had some success at last though am not quite sure how i did it. Basically i used the same microsoft oem xp with sp3 disc that i had which actually worked with the serial number on the label on the side of my dell, online activation also worked fine. The only thing different i did was that during set up i decided to press f6 to add sata drivers even though i know it's not a sata hard drive, electing this option took me further into the installation though at one point i was given an option to choose computer type and i chose standard pc. Basically xp with sp3 is now up and running with all my programs installed and working and the internet connection is fine too. Windows update is also fine, it was pleasant to discover my dell serial worked with the non dell disc, nothing illegal here as the licence is being used on the same machine it was issued for. Only thing now is that when i shut down from the start menu, the system only part shuts down automatically, at which point i get the message 'it is now safe to switch off your system' and i can do so only by pressing the power button. Still, this is a small annoyance compared to my previous problems. Surfing the interweb has indicated this problem is related to advanced power management but i have found no solution yet, any further suggestions would be most welcomed, and i hope my experiences can help point others in the right direction too, thank you.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:15 PM

There are various kinds of shutdown issues and this appears to be the situation you describe, courtesy of http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php:

SHUTDOWN HANGS ON “SAVING YOUR SETTINGS”
During shutdown or reboot, Win XP may hang (stop responding) at the “saving your settings” screen. During such a hang, there is no response to Ctrl+Alt+Del; the mouse may or may not work. The problem may be intermittent.

This is a known bug in Windows XP, for which Microsoft has a supported fix. To learn how to get this patch, see MSKB 307274, “Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown.” The necessary patch is included in Windows XP Service Pack 1, and also is now available on the Windows Update site under “Recommended Updates” for Win XP Professional, titled “Restarting Windows XP.” However, to find it, you may need to reconfigure how Windows Update appears for you, by enabling the Windows Update Catalog as follows: At the Windows Update page, click Personalize Windows Update at the left, and then Enable the Windows Update Catalog. Save your settings. This adds the Windows Update Catalog link in the left box. Click this link, then click Find updates for Microsoft Windows systems. Pick Windows XP in the drop-down list, click Search, take Recommended Updates, and find the “Restarting Windows XP” patch which references Q307274.

As a workaround, newsgroup correspondent “lou” resolved this problem by dismantling the Windows XP logon Welcome screen. In the Control Panel, click User Accounts, then click “Change the way users log on or off.” Uncheck the box that says “Use the Welcome screen.” This removes the initial logon screen with individual icons for each user and, instead, pops up the classic logon prompt that requires each user to type a user name and password.

A second reference for what appears to be your issue is at http://www.theeldergeek.com/shutdown_issues_in_xp.htm

Shutdown Does Not Complete or Hangs
Everyone that has used Windows XP has spent some time looking at the screen that says "Saving Your Settings" - waiting for it to finally decide that it's saved everything it can and move on to shutting down the system. I'm not sure if it's by design or considered a 'feature' of XP, but the closer it is to quitting time the longer it takes this transition to occur. As an added benefit, when XP does 'hang' at this point in shutdown there is no response to the Ctrl+Alt+Del sequence so the user is effectively stuck.

My guess is that a Microsoft employee eager to get out on a Friday afternoon finally decided to address this issue, but that's just speculation. Whatever the reason, this is a known issue with XP Home and Professional and has been addressed by Microsoft.

Windows XP Stops Responding (Hangs) During Windows Shutdown Q307274, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307274

How long does it take for shutdown to begin, or at least give some visible sign the system is shutting down? This varies, and often times seem to be in direct relation to software that is left running when shutdown is attempted.

The safest thing you can do is to make sure all programs have been closed before shutting down. This alone may solve your problem. Don’t overlook programs running in the system tray. It’s easy to forget these are running as we become so accustomed to seeing their icons on a daily basis. As a general rule, if you don’t see some visible shutdown activity within 1-2 minutes of initiation, something is holding up the process. One readily identifiable sign that some application or process is not terminating properly is the appearance of the "Wait, End Task, or Cancel" dialog box. The program or process listed needs to be examined as to why it isn't terminating properly. Often times a visit to a company website will provide an update to address the issue.

Windows XP uses many processes that are built into the operating system that interact with outside vendor supplied programs. These interactions don't always flow as smoothly or quickly as planned and can account for shutdown delays. Extending the amount of time a process is allowed to close before invoking the "Wait, End Task, or Cancel" dialog box can sometimes be of benefit. To get a better understanding of what this involves as well as why not to overdo the time extension, the following article may be of value.

Increase Shutdown Time So That Processes Can Quit Properly in Windows XP: Q305788, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305788

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users