Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help with my old win98 system

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 paulstyrin

paulstyrin

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:59 AM

Hi,

I've got a compaq celeron 433 128MB win98SE.

I was having problems with my system due to multiple virus infestation and other problems relating to the fact that I'm a muppet and can't maintain my system. Anyway I didn't have anything too valuable on there so i inserted the quick restore disk (it wasn't supplied with a windows cd) and turned the machine on.

Well the quick restore turned on and appeared to be working until it got to 88% and then said there was an error on the cd or the drive.

It turns out that the system turns on now but I am missing works, word, outlook express and a few other small programmes that came when I bought it. I have manged to get on to the internet through the supplied AOL trial although it appears IE is not on their fully.

Any ideas on how to get those programmes back. They appear to be there on my list of programmes but they have an empty little windows icon and when I acces them it tells me they are missing.

Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:10 PM

Hi paulstyrin,

I would not be confident that your Windows system is properly installed, I think you should go right back to the begining:

1. Make sure your hard drive is working correctly:
Boot in Safe Mode and do a scandisk with the 'Thorough' and 'Fix' options checked.
If you are not sure how to boot in Safe Mode there is a tutorial here:
Safe Mode
How to find scandisk:
Start>My Computer. Right click the C: drive then Properties>Tools tab, click on Check Now
Look for 'bad sectors' in the report at the end.

2. Clean your CDROM drive with a can of compressed air and a CDROM or DVD Lens cleaner from your local computer/electronics store.

3. Check your restore CDs for scratches or dirt. If there is dirt on the CD you can attempt to clean it with isopropyl alcohol wipes which you may be able to get at your chemist. If it is scratched I would not bother with scratch removal kits (depending on price).

4. Try the restore from your CDs again. If you still have a problem call Compaq and request replacement restore CDs. You will need to provide them with a model number and maybe some details off the original CDs and there will be a small fee.

5. If the replacement CDs still have a problem even after re-cleaning the CDROM drive and lens, you probably have a defective CDROM drive and need to replace that.

6. Have a look in the Tutorials section for ways to keep your system secure on the internet and what to do before you connect:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Ste...rnet-tut86.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/Sim...rnet-tut82.html

See how you go with this and get back to us :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users