Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Install Drivers - I Need Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tonytv

tonytv

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:46 AM

Ok this is a LONG story but I desperately need help!

First the facts; I have a Dell Dimension 4550 I purchased in 2002. And it has worked perfectly until now. In September I did a few upgrades, installed a new hard drive and extra memory.

The HD was a Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 8 MB 160 GB. The memory was 1GB 333MHz.

I had NO CLUE on how to install the drivers to get on the Internet. I called my ISP and spoke to CSR and the guy on the line was happy to guide me through on how to install the drivers.

Problem solved (or so I thought).

Flash forward to yesterday. I downloaded updates for my PGP and when I re-started the computer, I got a message saying that Windows would not start because of a virus on the HD. I canít even get into safe mode to uninstall PGP or do a virus scans. The HD is dead and unable to be used.

So I got a new HD a Western Digital Cavier 160 GB 7200RPM 8GB.I installed Windows XP and few other programs and everything is working fine. Except for the drivers. I have NO CLUE on how to install them.

I called my ISP again, and they said they couldnít help me. The CSR who originally helped me over the phone wasnít supposed to do that, as this is a Dell matter. Not an Internet matter.

So I called Dell Canada, and although my warranty had expired they said they would help me. What they said was that I installed Windows XP incorrectly and that the memory I had installed was incorrect.

Basically they said that the memory I have (1GB) is interfering with the installation. The way my Dell was set-up, it only accepts smaller memory cards that are 512. I should be having TWO memory cards that are 512 each. (Iím assuming that 512 times 2 equal 1 GB) Both memory cards would be $100.00 and Dell is the only one who sells them.

I donít understand as I had used the memory card without any problems. And the CSR guy from my ISP was able to install the drivers without a problem. The only problem I had recently (before the shutdown) was my monitor. Every so often the resolution would get darker, then go back to lighter.

So do I REALLY need those memory cards, or is Dell just pulling my leg (to make a sale). I really canít afford $100.00. But more importantly can anyone help me install these drivers? Iím in Toronto, is there anyone from Toronto who can help guide me over the phone?

Iíve tried going on-line, Iíve printed up instructions, Iíve read this board and still do not understand how to install drivers. And I really need to get hooked up on the Internet.

Any help ANYONE can give me would be mostly appreciated. Please send me your phone number in Toronto (again I have no money and would be mostly appreciative)

Needless to say Iím not on-line, so Iím writing this from an internet cafť, and will be checking this post out once a day. I know I had posted something like this before, but I just gave up and went back to the older HD.

If anyone can guide me over the phone (I'll even pay for the long-distance charges), I'd be so grateful.

Thanks to everyone who maybe able to help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

First, there are two models of the 4550, one has a FSB of 400MHz, the second has a FSB of 533MHz. The 533MHz model has two slots with a maximum of 512MB of RAM per slot, the 400MHz model has two slots with a maximum of 1GB of RAM per slot. So you need to know which one you have.

You can download your drivers from this site.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:48 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I don't believe you need new memory. If the memory worked properly from Sep 08 thru yesterday, it's the right memory. But, we can always check.

Link showing your specific system specs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...ecs.htm#1101572

Link to your owner's manual for your system: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...50/D0995bk0.pdf

There is a section in your manual on drivers, as well as other useful info. I suggest that you might take a look at your manual, it should eliminate/minimize various concerns you might have.

To me, it appears that your system clock runs at either 400 mhz or 533 mhz...which means that you have two options for memory.

When your clock is running at 533, then you need DDR 333 (also known as PC2700). This is the only speed at which PC2700/DDR 533 will work in your system.

When your clock is running at 400, then you must use DDR200/PC2100. But you can also use PC2100 if your system clock runs at 533...so PC2100 works with either, while PC2700 only works at the higher clock speed.

The person who told you 333 is the wrong memory...may have thought that your system clock was running at 400.

Your DDR333 module is good...as long as your system clock is set to run at 533.

You can check your system clock setting by looking in your BIOS or System Setup. It will be the setting for the Clock Speed under CPU Information. The setting should be 133x4, not 100x4.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...tup.htm#1097056

If you feel that you still cannot handle the drivers install...after looking at your manual...I can help with that (I'm at home all day and I have unlimited digital phone).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2009 - 08:48 PM.

#4 tonytv

tonytv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Hi Louis I sent you a couple of Private messages. Please read and respond, I'll be most appreciative.

OK. when I was searching for a post I had stumbled upon this post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1057101

This is EXACTLY what had happened to me! I got the below message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first you've seen this stop error screen (more like the 31st :|) restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Disable/uninstall anti virus, disk defragmentation, or backup utilities,. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and the restart your computer.

technical information :
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x81344950, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Is it possible that the memory card I had inserted is to blame for this? It was working fine from September to yesterday. But when I had downloaded the latest updates from PGP, poof, I got the above message.

Should I try and save the old HD or just start fresh with the new HD. Just to let everyone know, I'm not that technically inclined. Alot of the instructions to fix the above problem look like a foreign language to me.

And what about the memory. I don't this to happen again, but I honestly cannot afford the $100.00 Dell is asking for. What Dell tells me is because of the age of my computer, the memory cards I need (512 MB) no longer exists. So I have to buy from them (and they only have four left).

Please everyone, let me know what you think.

Thanks - Tony

Edited by tonytv, 14 January 2009 - 07:42 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:59 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

As for error messages: STOP error messages are common enough that there is a large amount of documentation on them, at least as far as occurrence and possible causes. IMO, what often works as a cure for one person...may not necessarily do the job for another person.

Similar situations (not identical) often result in the same error message and may have different cures and/or causes.

I'm still trying to figure out what this PGP you keep mentioning is...do you want to tell us?

Manana.

Louis

#6 tonytv

tonytv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

Hi Louis, got your message and I understand. Three questions (or if anyone else can chime in!)

I am totally computer ILLITERATE when it comes to installing stuff, so for the bottom three I need point by point instructions.

Question #1
"You can check your system clock setting by looking in your BIOS or System Setup"

I tried looking for it, I can't find it. Can someone post instructions on where you go to check my system clock?

And again Louis, I DO NOT NEED to buy those memory cards from Dell (for $100.00!). That the memory card I'm using is fine?

Question #2
The second thing is that I tried to install the drivers, but this is my stumbling block. Network adapters. They don't exists on my Device Manager. Can someone tell me where I go to download this, and post instructions on how to add them to device manager so I can start to install these drivers?

Again the first time this happened, the CSR from my ISP was able to guide me over the phone to install Network Adapters, and I had no internet access.

Question #3
Next I put in the CD I get a list of drives. This is what comes up.

Audio Drivers
ē Analog Devices ADI 198x Integrated Audio Rev: A06-00

Control Drivers
Intel USB 2.0 Rev A01-00

Keyboard Drivers
Dell Enhances Performance USB Keyboard Rev: A25-00
Dell Multimedia USB Keyboard Rev: A05-00

Mouse Drivers
Microsoft PS/2 Intellimouse Rev: A02-00

Network (NIC Drivers
ē Intel 10/100 LOM Rev: A02-00
ITEX Bell Canada Ė DSL Modem Rev: A02-00

System Drivers
ē Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility Rev A11-00

Video Drivers
ATI 128 MB DDR Radeon 9700 Pro w/TV-Out Rev A01-00
ATI 128 MB DDR Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out Rev A00-00
ē ATI Rage 128 Ultra 32 MB Rev: A08-00
NVidia 128 MB DDR GeForce4 Ti 4600 w/TV Out Rev A00-00
NVida 64MB DDR GeForce4 Ti 4200 Rev: A00-00
NVida 64MB GeForce4 MX 420 w/TV Out A00-00

The drives with the bullet point actually has a check-mark beside it when I put in the CD. So are those the drivers I have to install?

If anyone (plus Louis) can answer these questions, I would be most grateful.

OK now to answer your question Louis, PGP stands for Pretty Good Protection. It is a software used to encrypt data on my hard-drive. Every week or so I do a scan wipe to shred free space. Part of the software is free, but other parts you have to pay a subscription for. I was using the free part. I got a message saying I needed to up-date the latest releases from PGP. I did, and then they said to re-start the computer. Which I did. That is when I got the above message.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first you've seen this stop error screen (more like the 31st :|) restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Disable/uninstall anti virus, disk defragmentation, or backup utilities,. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption, and the restart your computer.

technical information :
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x81344950, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

Cause that all looks like a foreign language to me, I just thought it would be easier to re-install a new HD. Hopefully it wasn't the new memory card that caused the problem.

Thanks again everyone! - Tony

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

Now that I know what PGP stands for...

My suggestion would be to stop using software which results in system errors. I don't know how encryption software works but I would guess that it has drivers which conflict with either other drivers or XP itself. The only way that I know to test whether or not the software is causing the crashes...would be to remove the software and see how the system runs without it.

Regarding the system clock, every BIOS is set up a little differently. I've already posted links to your system manual and I didn't see individual BIOS screens on any of that documentation...so I'm not going to pretend that I know what your BIOS looks like.

But...since the system schematic depicts the possible settings for the system clock...I would imagine that you can go into your BIOS and find screens or sections of a screen that relate to what is graphically portrayed in the link.

<<And again Louis, I DO NOT NEED to buy those memory cards from Dell (for $100.00!). That the memory card I'm using is fine?>>

From what I see in your manual, there is no reason at all to replace working memory with slower RAM. You say that you've had no problems indicating that the wrong memory was being used and I believe you.

A network adapter is nothing but the connection that allows you to have Internet access. On my systems, it can be either an ethernet cable connection or a USB connection. It can be eithe wired or wireless on systems.

The simple truth is...if you connect to the Internet, you have a network connection of some type.

The easiest way that I find to install drivers...is to just insert the CD and place a check mark in each box that appears. The worst thing that will occur is that my drivers already installed will be updated/replaced, while the best thing would be the installation of all missing drivers for that system.

Louis

#8 tonytv

tonytv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

"The easiest way that I find to install drivers...is to just insert the CD and place a check mark in each box that appears. "

My CD doesn't have any check-boxes. They just have a step by step instruction. And the instructions are very clear. They say you must have a Network Adapter in the Device Manager to install the drivers. And there is NO Network Adapter in my Device Manager.

Again, I didn't have one the last time the CSR at my ISP guided me over the phone, there was no Network Adapter, but somehow he managed to tell me how to install one.

So I need a Network Adapter to install these drivers.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:06 PM

Are there any devices in Device Manager...which have a yellow or red marking?

If so, the Network Adapter is probably one of them, with a title of "unknown device."

How is your connection to the Internet enabled?

Louis

#10 tonytv

tonytv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:23 PM

I'm at an internet cafe right now so I don't now.

But I do know that there are TWO devices in the Device Manager that does have yellow marking.

And I do know my old HD, under network adapters is Intel ( R ) PRO/100 VE Network Connections.

But now with my new HD there is NO Network adapter in Device Manager.

And I honestly don't know how the connection to the internet is enabled.

Edited by tonytv, 15 January 2009 - 05:26 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,257 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

Well...I think I've given you the answers (or answers that make sense to me) but I cannot make you accept them.

Once the proper drivers are installed, those devices which are not working now...will work and appear where they should. Until the drivers are installed, they will continue to be reflected as "unknown devices" in Device Manager.

You need to install those drivers...no one here can do that for you.

The persons here have provide what can be considered to be guidance and suggestions which make sense...but you are the person who must execute the installation, based on guidance provided here...on the CD...and in your system manual.

There's a section in your manual on Page 28 which relates to setting up Internet Connections. That manual contains over 100 pages of material that is written so that users can understand how to do various chores which might be required or optimize the value of user systems. I can only suggest that you read those pages carefully and willingly, there is much knowledge to be gained by so doing.

Louis

#12 tonytv

tonytv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Louis, This is what I get when I open up the CD

To reinstall the NIC driver for Windows XP, perform the following steps:

1. Click Start, Right-click the My Computer icon, click Properties.

2. Click the Hardware tab, click the Device Manager button.

3. Click the + next to NETWORK ADAPTERS. Right click on the appropriate network adapter, click Properties.

4. Click on the Driver tab, click the Update Driver button.

5. Select Install from a list of specified location (Advanced), click Next.

6. Click Donít Search, I will choose the driver to install, click Next

7. Click the Have Disk button.

8. Verify that A: is entered in the Copy manufacturerís files from box or use the Browse button to point to the directory the driver was extracted to. (i.e. c:\dell\drivers\Ö.)

9. Click OK to install the driver.

10. Verify that Intelģ PRO/100 M Network Adapter connection is highlighted.

11. Click Next, click Finish

Again, the word NETWORK ADAPTERS is not in my device manager. So if it is not there, what do I click on? Please help me! Could you somebody, anybody help me over the phone? I'd even pay for the long-distance charges.

Edited by tonytv, 15 January 2009 - 06:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users