Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 7.0 Unable to Access Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

IE 7.0 is installed on an XP Pro SP3 system. All of a sudden, I can't access Windows Update. I get a message that IE 5.0 or later is required. Just to be sure, I downloaded and reinstalled IE 7.0 - no luck. Oddly, Windows Automatic Update is working.
For whatever reason, Windows Update website doesn't correctly identify my IE 7.0. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Try to update Java Runtime:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

#3 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

An interesting thought but Java SE Runtime Environment is not installed on this PC. Java™ Rel 6 Update 11 is installed. This is the latest version.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:20 PM

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot.

Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Logged on as admin. Did a "flushdns". Connection was already setup to get DNS servers automatically. Rebooted. Same result. Windows Update thinks this copy of IE 7.0 is a nonsupported browser for Update.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:00 PM

Check your Windows Update settings:
  • Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
  • In the left pane, expand User Configuration, and then expand Administrative Templates.
  • Expand Windows Components, and then click Windows Update.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:28 PM

All options show as "not configured".

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:52 PM

What firewall are you using? If you temporarily turn it off can you access the Windows Update website?

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 06:49 AM

Let me clarify. The IE 7.0 has no problem accessing websites. The problem is that the Windows Update website identifies the IE 7.0 as an unsupported browser for accessing Windows Update. I get the same message when I use FireFox to access the Windows Update website which would be expected.

How a browser "identifies" itself is "broken" in my copy of IE 7.0. I have tried reinstalling IE 7.0 too.

#10 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 07:50 AM

I found this website which will check a JavaScript enabled browser for identity and version.

http://myweb.cableone.net/4schmidts/browser_info.html

It recognizes my Internet Explorer as a 7.0 version. So Microsoft must use some other technique to determine if a browser is a supported version of IE for Windows Update.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

A somewhat similar situation: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/g...f-c5d46049c282/

Louis

#12 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. The description relates to Genuine Windows Advantage rather than Windows Update not recognizing IE 7.0 as a supported browser.

#13 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:55 PM

I accessed this website: www.fiddlertool.com/ua.aspx

IT returns this info in part:

ASPNET's HTTPBrowserCapabilities object reports that, based on the User-Agent, your Browser has the following capabilities:

Type = Firefox2.0.0.12
Name = Firefox
Version = 2.0.0.12
Major Version = 2
Minor Version = 0
Platform = WinNT
Is Beta = False
Is Crawler = False
Is AOL = False
Is Win16 = False
Is Win32 = True
Supports Frames = True
Supports Tables = True
Supports Cookies = True
Supports VBScript = False
Supports JavaScript = True
Supports Java Applets = True
Supports ActiveX Controls = False

Evidently my IE 7.0 is being misidentified as a FireFox 2.0.0.12. In fact, I have FireFox 3.0.5 installed. Any one have an idea where to look to fix this?

#14 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:58 PM

Just to make sure, if you go to Start | Run | type services.msc | ok

Is "Automatic Updates" set to Automatic?
Please post back if we found the solution

#15 GeorgiaIceCream

GeorgiaIceCream
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

Yes. The Automatic Service is set to "Automatic". The PC receives Windows Update notifications. I just can't get to the Windows Update website.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users