Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Pro slow login when connecting to Win 2003 SBS domain

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:14 AM

I administer a domain consisting of nine Windows XP SP 2 and SP 3 computers, connected to a Windows 2003 SBS domain. Users report that when logging in from two computers on the network, it takes approximately 26 minutes to log in. During this time, the message "Loading Personal Settings" is displayed. However, when the users log in on certain other computers, the login process only takes 5-6 minutes.

When checking the system log on the client computers, there are not entries during this 26 minute load time. The users are listed as local administrators on all of the computers on the domain, so I don't think that has an effect here. I have read that this problem might be related to DNS, but the DNS server settings seem to be correct, and the settings are identical on the computers. All computers have similar antivirus installations, and the same firewall rules, as far as I can tell. In addition, all of the computers should be having the same GPO implementation.

I am not sure where to go from here to troubleshoot this problem. Please advise, or if there is any additional information that would be helpful for this, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited for clarity

Edited by InterestinglyAverage, 14 January 2009 - 11:20 AM.

The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Luser

Luser

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:23 AM

you running roaming profiles?
Dont want to have problems with your computer?
Solution : install a good free anti virus, anti spyware & and stay away from misleading applications. Update your OS and vital programs as often as you can, to shut down those open security holes.
Stay away from shareware and trailware applications, avoid installing browser addins and toolbars. Read up on things before trying new applications.

Learn more about : Viruses, malmware & trojans | Need a bootdisk? | Want to know what that EventID mean? | Cybercrimes what is that?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:27 AM

Have you tried flushing the DNS?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

you running roaming profiles?

Yes we are. The backups have saved us in several instances. Would this cause a slowdown only on certain computers? (IE user1 normally uses computer1, and has a 26 minute login time. user1 moves to computer2 for the day while computer1 is being repaired, and login takes 6 minutes)

If so, is there an alternative that would still allow users to roam but without the long load time?

Have you tried flushing the DNS?

No... Would I do this on the workstation, or the domain server?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:49 AM

Microsoft actually has some fairly clear instruction for this, you can find them here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:28 PM

Microsoft actually has some fairly clear instruction for this, you can find them here.

I cleared the DNS cache following the cited instructions and the user will try logging back in in a few minutes.

I also tried doing a group policy update from the the computer (using gpupdate from the command line) and I noticed that on the computers where users encounter slow logins the gpupdate command seems to take several moments to execute, while on the computers with the 5-6 minute login time, the gpupdate command completes almost immediately. Not sure if that is related.

#7 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

After the user tested with the DNS cache being cleared, the login time was the same. I went into the Active Directory and found that the computer (and three others added at the same time) were actually in the wrong tree. After moving the computer into the correct area, it now is down to a five minute login time. I think five minutes is the best I can do with roaming profiles. Thanks for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users