Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor is black- no video signal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diesel22

diesel22

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:39 AM

I grabbed an older Dell desk top pc from work when the company upgraded all their pc's. The pc is being used by my three year old. All she uses it for is to plug in her "Cool School" keyboard in the USB and do the learning exercises. Well a few days into its use, The monitor went black, bios beeps sounded off...it wasnt a good experience.

I had a friend pull it apart last night and said that everything was functioning with the exception of the video card.

What would you guys do? Replace the video or toss it out and look for another cheap used replacement- just to run a toddler's educational game on?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:07 AM

I think I'd replace the video card...that was an easy one to answer :thumbsup:. Video cards have to cheaper and easier to find that a replacement system :flowers:.

A little warning...there are various types of video cards available and you have to be sure to buy the right type. Each type has a different sort of slot and they are not compatible...if you buy the wrong type for the system, it will not fit.

If you tell us the model of the Dell, we can see what type of card it needs and suggest at least one vendor.

Louis

#3 diesel22

diesel22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

Thanks for your reply.
I hope to have the pc back this evening, then I should be able to get you the model and any other info.
I may be a bit out of my league as far as replacing this myself as I have never done this, but Im sure I can be coached through it

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:38 AM

The video card is a plug and play type device, you will spend more time opening the case than it will take to change out the card. The card will usually have one Phillips head holding it in place, and the card is physically keyed so that it will only go into the proper slot and the proper way. Depending of the card, it may or may not come with a CD for drivers. Your operating system may have native drivers which will work, when you boot up the computer after installing the card the Installation Wizard will recognize it as "found new hardware", and will look for the appropriate drivers.

Caution: There are electronics inside the case that are very susceptible to electrostatic discharges. To protect your computer, touch the metal of the case to discharge yourself of any charges your body may have stored before touching any of the components inside. As a safety precaution you should unplug the computer to avoid electrical shock.

Edited by dc3, 14 January 2009 - 11:41 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:39 AM

It should be no problem :thumbsup:, installing a video card is pretty straightforward.

How To Install a Video Card Motherboards.org - http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1168_1.html

Louis

#6 diesel22

diesel22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:11 PM

sounds easy enough, looks easy enough, and luckily Im not sharp as a marble...but with computer things and my luck, something always goes haywire. I will wind up with a driver issue or something, which will lead to four letter words etc... ha ha

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be in touch once I get the machine back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users