Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD tray opens by itself

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bomie

Bomie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:29 AM

I have a Compaq Presario SR 1020 WM. Its around 4 years old. Off and on the CD tray will surprise me and open. It has done this off and on for years and sometimes go months without a problem and then it starts doing it again. I'm not computer savvy but it seems that after I defrag it gets better.

Is this a common problem? Or, is there something I can fix since it can drive me nuts sometimes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,276 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:48 AM

You might try uninstalling the drive in the Device Manager.

Go to Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Scroll down to the DVD/CD-ROM and double click on the + in the box, and then double click on the drive in question. Click on the Driver tab, then click on Uninstall. Reboot your computer now, when the computer reboots the installation wizard will recognize the drive as new hardware and will find the proper drivers for it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Bomie

Bomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:04 AM

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

#4 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

I know there was a malware\joke program several years ago, that opened and close cd-tray randomly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users