Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

D drive is full

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mike_K

Mike_K

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:14 AM

Hi All,

Windows Vista computer

I've started getting a message that my D drive is full. I right click and go to properties and it shows no free space left. Is this a problem and what should I do about it? The recycle bin is empty.

I don't fully understand the whole C/D drive. I thought the D drive was for backing up Windows Vista in case there is a problem with Vista. I've never added anything to my D drive. How did it get full? I've started using Avast, MalwareBytes-AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpysweeper, Zone Alarm and SpyBlaster a few weeks ago. Are any of these adding stuff to my D drive?

I've been having some malware problems recently. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/191440/aboutblank-takes-over-my-space-page/ I thought it was solved but the problems are back. I'll start another thread about them in the "Am I Infected" forum. Could the D drive issue be part of a bigger problem?

Thanks for any insight into what's going on

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jonmor68

Jonmor68

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:24 PM

Hi All,

Windows Vista computer

I've started getting a message that my D drive is full. I right click and go to properties and it shows no free space left. Is this a problem and what should I do about it? The recycle bin is empty.

I don't fully understand the whole C/D drive. I thought the D drive was for backing up Windows Vista in case there is a problem with Vista. I've never added anything to my D drive. How did it get full? I've started using Avast, MalwareBytes-AntiMalware, SuperAntiSpysweeper, Zone Alarm and SpyBlaster a few weeks ago. Are any of these adding stuff to my D drive?

I've been having some malware problems recently. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/191440/aboutblank-takes-over-my-space-page/ I thought it was solved but the problems are back. I'll start another thread about them in the "Am I Infected" forum. Could the D drive issue be part of a bigger problem?

Thanks for any insight into what's going on

Mike

Without more information on your system, like brand size of hdd and how many drives, I can only guess that you have a brand name system like Acer, Dell HP or whatever.
These companies usually have a small D partition to hold the restore files required to restore the system to how it was when you first purchased it.
Typically the partition would be about 6-10gig and is not meant for saving files on, so if you have been putting stuff on it and filling it up, you will get a drive full error. If that is the case you could remove the files that YOU put on there to prevent the error appearing.
If you don't have enough space on your C drive you can burn backups to dvd or buy another drive for extra space.

#3 Mike_K

Mike_K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:20 PM

Thanks for the reply

HP a6009n; AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ 2.00GHz; 3.0 GB Ram; 32 bit operating system; Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1.

Drive C: 225GB; 83.7GB used: 141GB free space
Drive D: 7.67GB; 7.66GB used; 2.45MB free space

I found the problem. Auto back up was turned on. I have it turned off. Now all I have to do is move my back ups to a disc and get them off the D drive

Mike
HP a6009n, windows vista home premium SP2, AMD 64X2 dual core processor 3800+, 2.00GHz, 3G ram, 32 bit operating system, AOL

#4 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

Hi Mike, I am having the same problem. I am running Vista home sp1 on a dissimilar system. My properties show very little memmory being used in the D drive files to include hidden files and hidden system files. I can only account for 11GB of space being used however the D drive root properties report it is almost full, 111GB full. I understand you turned off your backup files but can you account for what was using up your disk space? -Melissa
Melissa Morton
CompTIA A+ Certified (2005 Objectives): Nov 2008
CompTIA N+ Certified (2007 Objectives): Dec 2008

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:40 AM

windows backup is a good thing but you should see if there is a way to delete backups after they are so old. either that or start saving them to an external hard drive.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#6 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 09:32 AM

I deleted all but about 15, which accounts for about 11GB, but the drive is still just about full. I checked hidden files and hidden system files and I can not find what is using the space. I even ran WinDirStat, a program to help me find what is using the HD space, and nothing. I check the properties of each file and folder and very little space is being used but the root of the D drive properties reads that it is almost full.
Melissa Morton

#7 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:02 PM

Melissa, make sure you empty the recycling bin. Each drive has its own copy of the recycling bin. If you allow viewing of operating system files (this is under the option to show hidden file extensions in folder options) you will be able to see any OS files that are on the D drive. More likely then not you will find a recycling bin. If the recycling bhin is not empty you should empty it to remove the data. Moving to recycling bin does not delete the data off the machine. Its only when you remove from the recycling bin that the filesystem unlinks its connections to the data.

Dave

Edit: I made a mistake saying that each drive has a copy of the recycling bin, its just one central copy :huh:

Edited by pheonix, 14 February 2009 - 06:04 PM.

#8 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:28 PM

Here is the screen shot, I had to delete one of the others. I am also tempted to format the drive. Take a look at the screenshot and tell me if you see anything abnormal. I will be moving my files to the C drive.

Attached Files

Edited by Melissa11, 14 February 2009 - 06:46 PM.

Melissa Morton

#9 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:30 PM

Sorry, The system will not let me upload the last two pictures but the properties of the last two folders equal 10.4MB

Edited by Melissa11, 14 February 2009 - 06:34 PM.

Melissa Morton

#10 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:39 PM

Melissa, I have a feeling that there is a problem with the way the disks are being managed. Follow the steps below:

1. Go to control panel
2. Click the left to enable classic view
3. Click on administrative tools
4. Click on computer management
5. On the left tree view, click on Disk Management
6. Upload a screen shot of whats in disk management on the right.

If you want you can also move the important files you want from D drive to C drive and then right click D and perform a format and see what results that yields.

Dave

#11 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:48 PM

Hi, I accidentally modified post 8. The last screenshot is the one you asked for.
Melissa Morton

#12 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 06:56 PM

Melissa did you try to format the drive?

#13 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:07 PM

Hi Dave, Noy yet. I tried moving the files to the C drive but it was taking too long. It was moving more GB to the C drive than the file size in the first place. I think if I had let it keep going it would have tryed to put all 103GB on the C drive and I dont have enough space. I am not sure what I need to keep our of the D drive and thats why I am hesitant to format. I don't know what to think. Keep telling me what you think, I really appreciate the help.
Melissa Morton

#14 pheonix

pheonix

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

Melissa I am honestly running out of ideas, this isn't really one of my specialties lol. There is definately something taking up the space we need to work out what folder it actually is, try to move one file at a time to C drive and see which one is the one taking ages to be moved across. Post back with results.

Dave

#15 Melissa11

Melissa11

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

good idea, Ill move 1 file at a time instead of folders. I am giving up for this evening, morning for you right? , and Ill try again tomorrow. -Thanks
Melissa Morton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users