Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sick mouse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bomie

Bomie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

My mouse will quit right in the middle of using something. Simply dead. I have found that if I pull out the cord of the USB slot and then either re-insert it into the same slot or the one next to it, then it will work - for a while. Then the same thing happens. I'm tired of pulling it out over & over.

Is my mouse getting old, the cord getting old or what? Or am I having a more serious problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Konstantin

Konstantin

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

you should try to replace you mouse with a new one, i think.

#3 Bomie

Bomie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thank you for your info on trying a new mouse. I was thinking that might be the simplest and if I can find one around the house, it might be an easy answer to this.

Also, the mouse problem happened after we had a sudden major power outage of about an hour. I was online on this computer when everything went. It wasn't a good way to find out my power backup had gotten too old to handle it. I guess 14 years is a little old for a power backup...

I'm new here, so please bear with me. I haven't learned all the rules and techniques here in replying, etc. I already replied to this, but I think it just disappeared!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

Do you have another computer that you can try that mouse with?

One of the things that I noticed is that the part of the registry which controls the power to the USB ports sometimes will believe that the device that has been plugged in is inactive and will remove the power to that port. The Selective Suspend is the feature in the registry that controls this, it can be disable with a change in the registry, this can be risky for a novice. One other thing that you can try though is to open the Device Manager and scroll down to the Universal Serial Bus Controllers, double click on it to expand the tree, double click on the USB Root Hub and then click on the Power management tab. Remove the check mark from the box next to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

Go to Start, right click on My Computer> Manage> Device Manager.

Edited by dc3, 14 January 2009 - 10:15 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users