Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service pack 3 blue screen

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 paulspants

paulspants

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hello all, this is my first post and as the name suggests I am completely pants at computers, so please bear with me.

I'm running on xp home and need to upgrade to sp3, Internet explorer occasionally crashes and the error report says i need sp3, fair enough, i tried to update some time back but failed, can't quite remember why sorry, but have tried again today and end up with a blue screen message which reads

win32k.sys page_fault_in_nonpaged_area
***stop:0x00000050 (0x8af00105, 0x00000000, 0xbf803c91, 0x00000000 )
***win32k.sys-address bf803c91 base at bf800000, date stamp 48ce4da7

I have also occasionally been getting an 'end now' message for E1DB6607 on logging off

I normally run pctools av and spyware but last night tried spybot s&d, which to my amazement found several pups and 2 trojans, and my pc is now running incredibly slow, so I'm after suggestions :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:00 AM

Hi paulspants,

SP3 has a lot of trouble installing when there's malware on the system, so it would be a good idea for you to take some advice in the Am I Infected forum on how to best ensure that your computer is thoroughly clean. If Spybot found two trojans, and you're still getting error messages, then it's possible there may still be some infections which are leading to your inability to install SP3.

I'll ask if this thread can be moved to that forum, and in the meantime, it would be good if you look through some of those threads to see what kinds of advice is being given. Don't do anything with your restore points. They're always a good thing to have if you're trying a big change like one of the service packs. And don't defrag anything until you've talked to the malware people.

Zllio

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:13 AM

There's some reading to be done, prior to any attempt to install SP3:

Windows Xp Service Pack 3 (sp3) Information - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/

AumHa Forums View topic - Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) Installation Guide - http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33296

Louis

#4 paulspants

paulspants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:01 AM

Thanks for the replies

I have now check for malware using mbam, found 14 infected register entries :thumbsup:

Have also downloaded the KB file to do with amd processors from the links provided, deleted various files i no longer use and removed some games and adobe photoshop ( never used it )

My system info now shows as running on sp3, this is despite the failure to complete the up grade and the regression steps my pc had to take :flowers:

For some reason IE7 is hanging, the only way i can get onto IE7 is to use the 'end now' and 'report' process, which then itself connects ( using IE7 ) and i tab off from that, to get here

I hope someone infinitely more knowledgeable than myself understands all this

#5 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:22 AM

You seem to be making progress. See if this helps with IE7.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Zllio

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:23 AM

I understand a tad :thumbsup:.

When you click Start...right-click My Computer and select Properties, what is reflected there?

If that reflects SP3 as being installed, it is truly installed properly. If not, then you are running the SP2 version of XP.

Louis

#7 paulspants

paulspants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:22 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: many many thanks that seems to have sorted it :inlove:

restored the basic IE7 settings, lost all the auto complete but thats no real problem, will check the service pack now and report back

Edited by paulspants, 15 January 2009 - 03:24 PM.

#8 paulspants

paulspants
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

:thumbsup: service pack 2 :flowers: oh well

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

No reason to be glum :thumbsup:.

If you prepare your system for the update to SP3 properly (now that you have read/understood information that you did not have before), it should be successful.

You have a working system with known malware items removed...that's a start.

You also have two methods by which you can update to SP3 (I've successfully done each).

a. You can use the WinUpdate site.

b. You can download the network version of SP3 and install it from your hard drive, http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Louis

#10 Uzrik

Uzrik

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:51 AM

My brother had a problem lime this on vista though. But what we found out that some program systems are better than others even thoigh they are the same product. He borrowed 1 from someone and it ended up working fine. So if you want to spend some money on a new one you can but if you dont you will just have to stick with the SP2! I would suggest not buying until you know it might work. Find someone who will lend you one. If you happen to buy 1 and it doesn't work keep the recipt so if it doesn't work you can go take it back and get a second 1. If you can. Like I said some are bad but the same product. And if it doesn't work again then if you can take it back then take it back. But remember don't do this until you know if it works, or it could be a waste of money...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users