Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

installed new graphics card, screen resolution doesnt fit on monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rzarekt

Rzarekt

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:03 AM

I Just installed a ATI Radeon HD 4350, I was previously using a VIA Chrome9 onboard one.
Previously I could display resolutions fine and the perfect fit was 1920x1080 on my 22" BenQ E2200HD
Now, When I set the resolution to 1920x1080 instead of items getting smaller, everything gets bigger, Its sort of like zoomed in, to go see the start bar I have to scroll my mouse in the direction and the screen will like move.

Im currently using 1024x768 which is really stretched and distorted, but in this resolution everything is displayed on the screen.

Please help.

I have installed all the correct drivers that came along with the card.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:58 AM

AFter looking up similar problems I found this is usually called scrolling desktop or virtual desktop.
I still have not found a solution.
It seems the problem is the graphics card doesn't recognise that the monitor can handle the resolution or something.
I was thinking that what may be the problem is that my monitor is just listed as Default monitor and not by its name. But there were no drivers for the monitor and I couldn't find any either, it was jus plug and play sorta thing.

**update**
I've made a fake .inf file with my monitors details in it usuing powerstrip, still get the scrolling desktop.

Problem not resolved please help.

Edited by Rzarekt, 14 January 2009 - 09:11 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:42 AM

I don't know if you've already tried this, but...you might uninstall your video drivers...and then reinstall them, as an attempt to overcome this.

Sometimes drivers become damaged and don't work as they should...removing the old (via Device Manager) and then rebooting and installing a new can overcome possible corruption/damage.

This may do nothing to alleviate your problem, but it shouldn't hurt anything or worsen the problem.

Louis

#4 Rzarekt

Rzarekt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

I have tried this by downloading a new driver, from the internet and installing but that didnt work.
Surprisingly I followed what you said by removing then from device manager and installing anew, and it works!!
Thanks so much, There was an extra option in the catalyst control centre that allowed me to set the maximum resolution and hertz for my monitor.

I set the resolution at 1920x1080, What Should I set the hertz as, there is options up to 200 for now I think i selected 85 but I'd like to know whats best. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:14 PM

Refresh rate...I let mine stay at the default (I just checked and it's 60 now with onboard video).

I'd go with the default, unless you find that such starts to give you eye problems.

Glad you got it solved...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 18 January 2009 - 05:17 AM

Assuming its an LCD screen. Refresh rate is almost a thing in the past. LCD screens don't really strain the eyes. 60 Hz is more then enough for you screen. Plasma or CRT. that's leaning towards err yeah. Ok 70hz giver or take if your eyes are bothering you. Also. As for the resolution not fitting. I would try to reinstall the drivers for that onboard card. If not. Your monitor may need its driver installed. Take into consideration of maybe getting driver updates. May I recommend a small program called Everest ultimate its share ware. What it dose. It gives you a full detail of your system. I'm talking everything. What's nice with that program. It will provide links to the drivers. Download them and Hope that solves your problem. hamluis Pretty much hit this problem right on the head of the nail. Most likely the Video drivers will go a stray and corrupt due to bad memory addressing faults or a hicup with the operating system. Mostly Xp and below are known to corrupt data on shut down. Most of the time systems while shutting down will hang for a long period of time. Most times people just get so upset about how long it's taking to shut down. they just end up holding down the power button to do a hard shut down, Thus causing the files that are loaded into the memory to become lost or corrupt. This is however not something that anyone plans to have happen. It's just the way Microsoft is. Don't get me wrong I'm a huge Microsoft fan. I just disagree on some of there practices. Take care. Hope everything works out for you. If not. You know who to contact to further your support. Also if no one has told you yet.. welcome to Bleeping computers
Posted Image

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 06:22 AM

What Should I set the hertz as, there is options up to 200 for now I think i selected 85 but I'd like to know whats best.

You most likely selected 75Hz if it's working, the BenQ supports 50 to 76Hz. You will generally get the best result selecting a refresh rate the same as your local mains frequency, or far away from it, but in practice an LCD seldom shows much difference. For the US and other countries using 60Hz mains, first try using 60Hz.

Because an LCD is illuminated by a backlight of constant intensity, there tends to be no visible flicker, and no beat effect if the refresh rate differs from the mains frequency under artificial lighting. So if there is no visible difference between the rates, use whichever suits you. There may be some difference visible between the refresh rates in games or showing videos, again, if you see any difference use whichever works best.

Especially visible with a CRT monitor is the beat which occurs as a flutter at the difference between the refresh rate and the mains frequency, when viewed under artificial room lighting. In 60Hz countries, 70Hz gives a 10Hz beat, 75Hz is 15Hz and 85Hz refresh beats at 25Hz, which is becoming undetectable to the human eye. A refresh rate greater than 85Hz will give the appearance of a rock-steady display. In countries like Australia with 50Hz mains, the beat effect starts to become undetectable from 75Hz refresh upward.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users