Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and sometimes failure to start

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:53 AM

Sorry but this is going to be a long read...

So a few days ago i got a BSOD and then on restart the PC was fine, but then today my sister was on here, apparently the only thing she was doing was browsing "Seek.com.au" which is a job search site, and then she got a BSOD. My brother says that site somtimes crashes Firefox for him, but i dont see how the problem cause a BSOD. When i restarted the PC from that, it got to the black Windows XP screen with the load bar and after that screen, it simply stayed black and made a weird sound (ill explain with the errors after this) and did nothing so i restarted again, only to get the same thing. I then decided to open the case and start the PC to find where the sound was coming from, perhaps the Power Supply, but of course on that attempt, the PC started Windows properly...but before fully completing loading all of the processes, it gave a BSOD again! so i restarted the PC and now its working and i came straight here to find a solution. Unfortunately, Formatting my drive (easiest option, i know...) is NOT an option. Theres simply too much data that cant be lost and is way too expensive to buy a bunch of Blank DVDs, only to have the backups fail due to BSOD during the burn process, so ill list now my specs and then ill write the 3 BSOD errors i got.

Specs:
Windows XP Home SP2
Intel Pentium 4 2.93GHz
1GB of RAM
Primary HDD: 200GB (with 12.4GB free)
Secondary HDD: 80GB (with 5.86GB free)
Asus Extreme AX 300SE/td <--- Possible cause

First Error:
I almost forgot to mention this...well about a month ago, i decided to upgrade the driver for my Video Card so i followed the link that the software for my VC lead me to, and after installing the computer decided to randomly restart for without any errors or anything so i scanned the internet to find out nothing...i did see a lot of complaints about the driver (ATI Catalyst™ 8.12 Display Driver for Windows XP) had numerous errors and complaint by people, not relating to my problem though, so without thinking to System Restore, i downgrade to the previous driver, only to have the problem persist, and then i had realized i was lead to a driver for AMD rather than Intel (if that matters?) so i went to the official Asus site to get the latest XP Driver "ASUS VGA card display driver version 8.523 for Windows XP", hoping to solve the problem. I also set XP to show the BSOD rather than restarting randomly, and for one month, the PC was fine until BSOD 3 or 4 days ago and again today.

First BSOD:
When this occurred, i was using Mozilla Firefox with 2 tabs open and i just started listening to music via Windows Media Player 11 and then the PC started lagging really badly and froze a couple of times before going to a BSOD. The message from the BSOD read (without the unnecessary "if this is your first BSOD, restart blah blah):

Kernel_Data_Inpage_Error

*ouput omitted*

***STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC03DD290, 0xC000000E, 0xF74A4642, 0x29F71860)

*output omitted*

ftdisk.sys - Address F74A4642 base at F749A000 Datestamp 3b7d8419

physical memory dumped

when i had this BSOD, the computer was making a weird sounder continuously, which sounded to me like the very last moment the PC powers down and you hear the Power Supply go off, but the PC was on and with a BSOD so i was thinking it could possibly be a Power Supple problem or the PC may have been overheating (its summer here in Australia). Then after a restart, the pc worked for a few days until i got the following 2 BSODs today.

Second BSOD:
As mentioned before, my sister was apparently using Mozilla Firefox to browse "seek.com.au" and then she got a BSOD. Not sure if she heard the sound i was hearing for the first BSOD, but the error was different:

A process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated.

*output omitted*

***STOP: 0x000000F4 (0x00000003, 0x870E8860, 0x870E89D4, 0x805FA1F0)

physical memory dumped

this is when i restarted today and had the PC freeze after the black XP screen. When it was frozen both times it was making the same sound as the first BSOD, and so i opened the case to hear where the sound was coming from only to have the PC start normally that time...atleast Explorer started and before completing loading all processes, the next BSOD followed.

Third BSOD:
This one provided more information and seems like it could be a Video Card or Video Card Driver problem, most likely relating to the driver problem mentioned before. The BSOD read:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

*output omitted*

Check to see you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.

***STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x804E742F, 0xF7A7EA60, 0xF7A7E75C)

physical memory dumped

Thats basically whats happened and i cant afford to lose all the things on this computer. Ive always wanted to get a large Ext HDD but have no money for it. Theres not really any point in me saying "If i dont reply or come back then the problem is fixed" because it seems to be random and its kinda hard to tell if its fixed or not so ill check back regularly.
I Thought What I'd Do Was I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes, Or Should I?

You Know What I'd Like To Be? I Mean If I Had My Goddam Choice, I'd Just Be The Catcher In The Rye And All

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:11 AM

The first thing I would do is check the hard drive:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

#3 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:24 AM

OK so i got te offline 'SeaTools' for my Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 (ST3200822AS) and for the S.M.A.R.T. Check it said there were no errors reported for that drive and for the Long Drive Self Test and the Long Generic the drive got a Pass so i guess its safe to assume its not my Hard Drive.
I Thought What I'd Do Was I'd Pretend I Was One Of Those Deaf-Mutes, Or Should I?

You Know What I'd Like To Be? I Mean If I Had My Goddam Choice, I'd Just Be The Catcher In The Rye And All

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...10023216AATgYtX

One of several webpages users can employ to decipher STOP error messages: http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0x0000007E

Louis

#5 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for that link Louis! Thats exactly the site i needed. So from the possible causes on that site, the only possible errors that apply to me could be

1 Windows Overlapping Error
2 USB unplugged while in use
3 Hard Disk Error (in relation to cables or motherboard)
4 RAM Error
5 Driver Error

1. I dont think it could be the overlapping error because the hotfix was released in 2006 and thus surely included in a Windows Update since then.

2. This could have been the cause when my sister was on the PC because the slot on the face of my PC was slid down so the card reader was most likely used. In which case, its not an error that can be fixed, only avoided.

3. Theres not really any tests i can do to check this, unless im mistaken, so i cant do anything without money to replace the hardware.

4. Same as above.

5. I think this is probably the most likely cause of the original problem in relation to my Video Card Driver troubles. Sorry to be a bother but could anyone please verify exactly which Driver i am supposed to be using?? I've written in the opening post which drivers i have tried.
The last thing i can think of is that i saw another person saying that they had their computer randomly restarting after installing a VC Driver and found that their problem was that the driver had changed the voltage on his Video Card, causing the PC to restart at random times. Does anyone know how i could check to see if this is the cause?

Edited by Larfin_Man, 14 January 2009 - 10:03 PM.

#6 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 01:19 AM

The computer just now froze up and restarted (no BSOD) after booting, my antivirus (ESET NOD32) does not properly load. It has a red icon and a popup from windows says something like "Your antivirus may be out of date", but it is up to date. When i go into Nod32 to see why the icon is red, it says "Virus scanner initialization failed. Most of the Eset Nod32 Antivirus modules will not function properly" and when i go to "Setup", all functions are "Enabled". I then went to "Tools > Log Files" and under "events" there are two errors: "Virus scanner initialization failed. Antivirus protection will not function properly." and "Error initializing file submission system." so i guess this could all be a virus problem, yet im still weary about the Video Card Driver.
Was actually just a NOD32 bug that no one seems to be able to fix...

Edited by Larfin_Man, 15 January 2009 - 03:59 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:10 AM

Thanks for letting us know :thumbsup:.

Well...you don't have to use Nod32 on your system...there are certainly other AV programs that are at least as equally reliable and efficient...and which may not have known unsolvable bugs.

Louis

#8 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:10 AM

i just ended up going back to the previous version (from v3 to v2.7) after people saying that version never has the same problem across all Windows OS. although unrelated, 1 problem solved! =D

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:51 AM

Nice job on your part, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#10 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:45 AM

just dropping in to say still getting the BSOD... this time, all i did was open "MagicDisc" and then BAM, BSOD... my sister also got it today aswell

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:56 AM

Well...I don't know anything about virtual tools (other than the fact that such require drivers)...but I would uninstall any program that prompted a BSOD upon opening/installation...where none had previously not existed.

Seems that there is a conflict somewhere. What is the link from which you downloaded the file?

The download may be corrupt...or whatever. If you truly want to install this program, I suggest trying another download, on the premise that there may be file corruption in your original effort.

You might also check Event Viewer for possible clues, How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#12 Larfin_Man

Larfin_Man
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

MagicDisc has worked fine for me so far and still does and honostly i dont think it is corruption to the installed software because it was the instant i clicked on the icon, so it didnt have time to load any drivers or anything. I randomly get a BSOD sometimes at the instant i click on an icon in Programs in the Start Menu.

Ive just looked in Event Viewer and found the following errors:

Error #1

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Ci
Event Category: CI Service
Event ID: 4124
Content index on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci is corrupt. Please shutdown and restart the Indexing Service (cisvc).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Error #2

Event Source: Ci
Event Category: CI Service
Event ID: 4126
Cleaning up corrupt content index metadata on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci. Index will be automatically restored by refiltering all documents.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Error #3

Event Source: ati2mtag
Event Category: CRT
Event ID: 45062
Description:
CRT invalid display type

Error #4

Event Source: atapi
Event Category: None
Event ID: 9
The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort1, did not respond within the timeout period.

The 4th error seems to have happened about 8 times around every 10 seconds and is most likely one cause of the BSOD (i have 2 types where, one i hear those noises i mentioned in the opening post, and the second is where i get a BSOD at the instant i click a random app in Programs) Im thinking the one where i hear noises is related to the 4th error, and im not sure about the random app BSOD cause..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users