Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 douming

douming

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

Hi everyone, thanks for taking the time to read my problem and help.

Recently I was streaming hockey live and I got some viruses. They kept hacking away at my computer and my anti-virus so I just decided to delete some of them after my anti-virus (Sophos Anti-Virus, from University of British Columbia) found them. It didn't delete them so I did it manually because I was annoyed as hell (searching for file and deleting + empty recycle bin)

Well now comes the real problem, I deleted one of them and then restarted computer. Afterwards things started getting weird. The start-up and everything is ok, but when I press login ---- the only part that shows up is my wallpaper, nothing else will load, it'll stay blank like that and then log me off, then it restarts on it's own and it says that some file was deleted but windows was able to recover it. (this was the second restart). So I restart it again, but the same problem happens. I repeatedly restart (and dumbly hoping that it will go back to normal which it won't). I also tried to run it in safe mode, but that doesn't work either. Same blank screen and automatically logs me out without anything loading.

**Edit//

Currently I'm trying to run it in a different mode. After restarting and holding F8 I get a bunch of options. Then I selected the option that said "Run windows in restore mode" or something like that, I will edit this again later with the specific option title. After I selected it I think it checked my C: Volume (not sure) and it said it was clean and proceded to Windows start up. Now I am at the "Windows is starting up... " screen. Been at this screen for approx 5 minutes now.

**Update//
The option is "Directory Services Restore Mode" I don't think it'll help.
There's also Debugging mode, but I doubt that'll do anything.

What should I do? *lost* I'm completely helpless right now ._.

I was also wondering if it was possible to get the information on my hard-drive despite this huge problem if nothing else works?

FYI: if you're wondering, I'm using my laptop right now.

Thanks in advance again

DouMing

Edit**// More Info.

My home computer: 3.0 Ghz, 1 Gig ram
I don't think its genuine since everytime I load it, it asks me to get genuine, but it's extremely old, like 3-4 years old.

Edited by douming, 14 January 2009 - 02:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:41 AM

I'm sure you've thought of this, it sounds like the virus may have taken over or replaced a necessary system file. Do you have the CD of xp that came with the computer? You may be able to do a system restore with it. Do a search on the forum for directions on how to do that from CD if you have the CD.

#3 douming

douming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:43 AM

Sadly no.. but if I can get any Windows XP cd will it still work?

Edit**//

And yes I was thinking of that lol

I can't seem to find System Restore with a Windows CD (from searching), if you could kindly re-direct me or help it would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by douming, 14 January 2009 - 01:48 AM.

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:06 AM

Try this:

http://www.free-av.de/en/tools/12/avira_an...cue_system.html

If you need a tool to burn the .ISO file then I suggest IMGburn...
http://download.imgburn.com/SetupImgBurn_2.4.2.0.exe

#5 douming

douming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

thank you, it's scanning my computer now, however im not really sure how to use it to recover my files or repair my computer? do you happen to be familiar with the program? thanks again for your time..

Edited by douming, 14 January 2009 - 05:47 AM.

#6 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

thank you, it's scanning my computer now, however im not really sure how to use it to recover my files or repair my computer? do you happen to be familiar with the program? thanks again for your time..

It is a virus and malware scanner that is bootable thus not requiring Windows to load in order to use it.

Have you got the ISO burned and the cd made?
Are you able to boot to the cd into the rescue media?

Once you are in the rescue media, use the arrow keys, and the space bar to select ENGLISH, and then continue.
Use the arrow keys and the space bar to select "attempt to fix/repair bad files" (or something along those lines), and also use the arrow keys and the space bar to select "rename files that cannot be repaired"

continue with the scan.
If the screen goes black during the scan just press any key on the keyboard (other than esc or enter to be safe) and the screen will come back.
Once it is done reboot and cross your fingers that it fixed your issue.

Once you are done, please head over to the security section of bleeping computer as the pro's there will be able to help you much better.

#7 douming

douming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for such a quick reply

I got it to boot successfully.

I was wondering what you mean by rescuemedia? I go to an interface right away that shows a virus scanner only and right now it's scanning my computer.

I don't know what to do. This is so frustrating.
"
In the configuration place, the only thing remotely close to what you said was "Try to repair infected files", since I deleted a file that I needed for windows to work, is it even possible that it will find it and put it back to where it was? I did afterall delete and emptied my recycle bin. *sighs, I'm such an idiot sometimes*

**All I can do is scan my computer for viruses, after it finishes scanning, I have no options to choose from. No moving the files, no deleteing files, no quarantining, no nothing. I have no idea how to use the RescueCD although it works... *sigh*

Am I suppose to go into commandline and do something? I can't find a manual anywhere on the Avira website

Edited by douming, 14 January 2009 - 07:11 AM.

#8 douming

douming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:39 PM

It finished scanning, and there has been no difference. It looks like there's nothing I can do except wait to see if anyone else has an idea or take it into a computer shop.

#9 Kandinsky

Kandinsky

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:57 PM

douming,

Sorry, I was out of town. You might be better off following Lowtech's advice, rather than mine, he knows more than I do. But I'll answer as best I can.

>>I can't seem to find System Restore with a Windows CD (from searching), if you could kindly re-direct me or help it would be greatly appreciated.

You can do a system repair if you access the windows installation process from the CD. I have never done repair, XP is pretty new to me, in win 98 I think doing this might have been a lot easier... but here is a site explaining how to get there;
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sg_clean.asp
when you get to a certain part in this it will give you the option to "repair windows xp installation using the security console". I don't know what is beyond that.

& not sure, but you may need just the right xp cd to do repairs. There are home & pro versions, sp versions, store and OEM versions.

#10 douming

douming
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:29 AM

Thank you so much =).. SOOOO MUCH..

I will give it a try once I get a hand on a Windows XP CD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users