Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't start

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 windranger

windranger

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:38 AM

Hello,

It's very strange, but my laptop computer just doesn't start anymore.

When I press the start button, I hear the sound of the hard drive trying to boot fot two seconds, but then it stops.
there is absolutely nothing on the screen, it just remains black.

I always use it with AC adapter plugged in and the batteries are full.

So I wonder where I should start the investigations from.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Your monitor should reflect a message of some sort, after a few seconds. Are you saying that the screen remains black with no message?

Louis

#3 windranger

windranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:31 AM

Right, the monitor doesn't lit up evenfor a second. It stays dead...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:56 AM

I think I'd check that monitor, in that case...that's not the way that it's supposed to happen.

If the monitor has power, my experience is that it works or displays a message telling me that it's not getting a signal or I have left it disconnected. Might be good to check all your connections for the monitor, to/from the system and to/from the power outlet.

Louis

Oops...I see that it's a laptop, whereas I had been previously thinking desktop (in spite of what you typed). Disregard my earlier, misdirected comments. I don't know much about anything, but I know even less about laptops :thumbsup:.

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2009 - 10:58 AM.

#5 InterestinglyAverage

InterestinglyAverage

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 09:08 AM

Just to rule out other possible issues, do the lights on the laptop (power, CPU, hard disk, LAN, etc) light up appropriately?
The only way to learn anything is to question everything.

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:02 PM

My desk top just did that yesterday. Push power/power light came on/hard drive starts(both only for a second or two then a red sleep indicator, no nothing else. I had a upgraded vid card fan going bad before all this and had resorted to leaving the PC on all the time to avoid fan spin up, wich sounded real od, but went smooth after run in? So I pulled the power lead to the card and the pc started just fine. I figure mine was a shorted vid card stopping boot threw power supply problem? Your vid on card may be a issue, but Im no tech. Power supply?
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#7 windranger

windranger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

Well, I pulled out the batt pack and left it for half a day then put it back.
Strange, but the notebook started fine this time.
I still wonder what was the cause...

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

I suggest keeping an eye on it for a few days...and backing up data files, if you don't do so routinely.

I would also suggest checking Event Viewer for any errors mentioning a hard drive or disk. Errors require immediate attention, while the informational items do not require user attention.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users