Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No video after installing new PSU and Video Card

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Shiken

Shiken

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:56 PM

Alright here's the summary of whats going on:

my old mobo burnt out, so i replaced it with this: (link later, newegg wont load atm)
once i installed it, i realized it had no agp slot for my nvidia 6600, only pci-express, so i temporarily put a pci 5500 in.
then i ordered this: (link later, its a gtx 260)
received the card and installed it, only to find that as i thought, the old psu was not strong enough for it.
ordered this psu: 750w thermaltake
got that in today, and installed it. turned on the pc, and everything is receiving power, all fans, lights, hard drives, dvd drive, etc receiving power. however, i get no display, the monitor immediatly goes to sleep when i power on the pc. here's a list of all the things i've tried, all of which have had the same effect, no display on screen, no beeps, no post, no bios:
-trying a vga monitor
-trying the onboard video
-removing the 260, trying onboard video
-installing old pci 5500
-installing old pci 5500 in the same pci slot it used to be in, removing every other pci device
-tried the other side of the 4+4 connector to my motherboard (only has 4 pin conection on the board) repeated all above steps.
-tried switching ram sticks around

I've triple checked every connection and they are all secure. at this point no matter what i do, i cannot get anything onto the screen. I think thats all the relevant information i can think of, please help if you can.

edit: was trying some stuff with the cmos, and some smoke got out from the vicinity of the pci card. i cant visibly see anywhere on the card or the board nearby where it came from though. *sigh* it's just one thing after another, im gonna leave it alone for a little while hopefully you guys have some good suggestions for me.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

some smoke got out from the vicinity of the pci card.

Obviously not a good sign. Take everything apart and look for scorch marks, see if anything smells burnt.

once i installed it, i realized it had no agp slot

Do you mean to say that you actually forced it in a slot and turned it on??

Edited by garmanma, 14 January 2009 - 03:20 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Shiken

Shiken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

some smoke got out from the vicinity of the pci card.

Obviously not a good sign. Take everything apart and look for scorch marks, see if anything smells burnt.

update on the smoke, its a very small strip leading to the pci slot the 5500 was in, thats burnt up now. hopefully that only affects that pci slot and nothing more.

once i installed it, i realized it had no agp slot

Do you mean to say that you actually forcrd it in a slot and turned it on??

no... i took out the first motherboard, which is used an agp 6600 on, put the new motherboard in, and saw that there's no agp slot, and set aside the 6600, and put in the regular pci 5500. then ordered the new 260.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:27 PM

its a very small strip leading to the pci slot the 5500 was in, thats burnt up now

It doesn't take a whole lot to destroy the solder trace. Don't forget that's a multi-layer board.
Do not spend any money trying to fix it
How long ago did you purchase it? Google's pretty good with RMA's
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Shiken

Shiken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:51 PM

links update-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814127361 - video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813138079 - mobo

update comment from another forum-

Call thermaltake, or RMA to newegg, I am thinking that the switches in the PSU are giving under and over voltage, leaking power all over your mobo while never doing anything useful, but if thats the case, it poses the possibility that the PSU has already fried your mobo.

its a very small strip leading to the pci slot the 5500 was in, thats burnt up now

It doesn't take a whole lot to destroy the solder trace. Don't forget that's a multi-layer board.
Do not spend any money trying to fix it
How long ago did you purchase it? Google's pretty good with RMA's

board purchased on 12/21, psu on 1/9. google? i bought these via newegg.

Edited by Shiken, 14 January 2009 - 05:54 PM.

#6 Shiken

Shiken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

well looks like this topic is dead, only update is that i have emailed thermaltake and awaiting a response from them to see if they'll replace my psu and mobo >>

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 AM

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:43 AM

FWIW: I suspect that a phone call works better than an email for requesting an RMA, based on my 1 experience with doing such. Vendors may have prerequisites (questions, diagnostics) which they will go through before granting any RMA and a phone call to a person will probably faciltitate such.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users