Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard messed up after multiple Trojan inefctions.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 next4nextel

next4nextel

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

As the title states the laptop was infected by multiple Trojans. This is a friends computer, although I am a PC Tech myself never have I seen such stubborn a infection (well once with XP when screen saver and themes were effected). Well friend gives me a call and says I think my laptop has a virus can you help me and I say sure!

Well folks we are running Vista home premium 64 bit which I am not too familiar with and refuse to assimulate too, I'm an XP guy. The biggest problem is I couldn't get my normal arsenal of programs to work as this is 64 bit and they won't run on it. So this has made life difficult and I turn to you guys now. I used AVG 8 as that was the only program I could get to work on his laptop, Avast wasn't too helpful. AVG removed about 20 various Trojans including, SHeur, Dloader.agent,crypt.bnt.

Now when tested the system is clean and no more visible traces of viruses but the keyboard is still screwed up as in some keys show up wrong, for exampe when you type k, l you are surprised to see a 1,2 on the screen about 20 keys are effected in this way, and makes it extremely difficult to the point I can't use that laptop to type or go online. It's been a pain having to use a flash drive back and forth between two laptops. Two registry entries were quarantined by AVG as they were referencing to the infections so I know that the registry is possibly still infected or corrupted. Any ideas or suggestions on moving forward. Spelled infections wrong in the title I guess a mod can fix that!

Edited by next4nextel, 13 January 2009 - 11:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

I have read that both Avast! and Avira have freeware versions that will run on Vista 64 bit.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 next4nextel

next4nextel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:31 AM

Well I used AVG 8 and Avast. The viruses are removed, at least they are not coming up on scanners but the problem is the keyboard is still messed up. I think it either has corrupted the registry values or keyboard driver. I am used to using Xoftspyse, virtumundobegone and hijackthis which are all excellent programs that I use for clients and will 99.9 % of the time do the trick, but they won't work for 64 bit vista. I'm in a jam here.

Edited by next4nextel, 14 January 2009 - 01:36 AM.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:36 AM

You could try uninstalling the keyboard in the Device Manager and then reboot.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 next4nextel

next4nextel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:38 AM

You could try uninstalling the keyboard in the Device Manager and then reboot.

I already attempted this by removing the keyboard driver.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:48 AM

You could try downloading the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. It contains a tool called Remapkey.exe which you should be able to use to check if the key assignments have been remapped. I've read that it works with Vista but you must run it as an administrator.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 next4nextel

next4nextel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:50 AM

You could try downloading the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools. It contains a tool called Remapkey.exe which you should be able to use to check if the key assignments have been remapped. I've read that it works with Vista but you must run it as an administrator.

Tried that but keep getting an error, windows32 cabinet self extractor has stopped working when I try to install the package. I assume this this because vista is 64 bit and the app is 32 bit.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

You could try installing it on a 32bit machine and then just copy the extracted files from C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools over to the 64bit machine. No guarantee it will work though...

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 next4nextel

next4nextel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

You could try installing it on a 32bit machine and then just copy the extracted files from C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools over to the 64bit machine. No guarantee it will work though...

It is solved, it happens to be the a setting with Toshiba laptops having a number pad enabled. The number pad was automatically being enabled on startup easily disabled by pressing Fn - F11. Thanks for the help though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users