Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temperature of cpu varies

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Everard

Everard

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:41 PM

Hi,

I have a P4 3.4 processor... I've been having some issues with performance and now have a different problem.

I have just installed a temperature monitoring utility on my comp and it is semi distressing me. Sitting idle runs a nice cool temp of 43C (which I figure is about normal) but when playing high spec games the temp sky rockets to 66C... and various temp inbetween... my fan is running... new thermal paste has been put on... still temp goes up when playing games...

My performance issues are now solved... my games run smoothly... but now I'm worried about cpu temps... I never did have the temp util on before so I don't know if this was how it was running before...

Will it damage the cpu running that hot? I have heard P4's are known to run hot... I am thinking a new heatsink and cooler might be in order...

Please advise!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,745 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:03 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I haven't had an Intel processor in 11 years, but I believe Pentiums are known to run "hot". You can always look up the max temperature for your processor...just use Google and a string like "P4 max temperature".

Whose temperature utility are you using? I only trust the BIOS reading for CPU temps, but you may want to try
Core Temp - http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ .

Louis

#3 Boneshaker

Boneshaker

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:40 PM

You may want to invest in a good cpu heat sink. The stock intel fan is less that spectacular when it comes to cooling the P4.

I've seen drops of 20 degrees after properly installing a new fan.
A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke ... Groucho Marx

#4 Everard

Everard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:27 AM

Hi, thanks for the replies.

So you think that it is running too hot then and I need a new heatsink and fan? From the comp shops in town I can only find a similiar one, around $10... do you think that one is enough?

The utility came with the motherboard. There is no temps in my bios.

Everard.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

nah i think its fine you shoudent worry
if you get bsod and errors and stuff then i would worry

#6 Boneshaker

Boneshaker

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:50 PM

If everything is running okay and you're comfortable with the temperatures ... you probably have nothing to worry about.

But ... Cooler is better.

Constant heating and cooling inside the case can shorten the life of some of your hardware.

A reasonably good heat sink will cost you about $40 or $50.
A woman is an occasional pleasure but a cigar is always a smoke ... Groucho Marx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users