Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cluvy

cluvy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:04 AM

I need help !!!! My system restore says "turned off by group policy" WHAT DOES THIS MEAN ???? Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:23 AM

Help the people here to help you, give some detail about your system, operating system, anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyware, main applications, and local and internet access. Are you the only user of the system? How do you log on? When did the problem first occur? Have you run Windows update recently?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:06 PM

From Win 2K help: (start/help/group policy)

Using Group Policy
Group Policy is the administrator's primary tool for defining and controlling how programs, network resources, and the operating system behave for users and computers in an organization.

In an Active Directory environment, Group Policy is applied to users or computers on the basis of their membership in sites, domains, or organizational units.

Administrators can manage the Group Policy components listed in the table below.

Component Description
Administrative Templates Sets registry-based policy
Security Settings Configures security for domains, computers, and users
Software Installation Assigns or publishes programs to users who should have them
Scripts Specifies scripts for user logon/logoff and computer startup/shutdown
Folder Redirection Places special folders, such as My Documents, on the network

You must be an administrator to add Group Policy to a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) and to use Group Policy in a saved console.

For information about opening a snap-in or using MMC, see Related Topics.

#4 scorpsteals

scorpsteals

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

I think you can enable system restore from group policy by
1) Starting the Group Policy Editor by clicking on Start, Run and typing gpedit.msc in the Run box
2) Navigate to Computer Configuration---> Administrative Templates---> System---> System Restore
3) In the right pane, set Turn off System Restore to disabled and Turn off Configuration to Disable

#5 cluvy

cluvy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:34 PM

DUH !!!!!

Sorry, I'm was'nt thinking. I have windows xp with the service pack. The only fire wall I use is the windows firewall that came already on my system. I really don't know a whole lot about computers......... so all help appreciated. By the way I tried using the Start .. run gpedit.msc and it say's no such file exists. Thanks for all help

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

You need to replace the Win XP firewall with one that protects both incoming and outgoing. The XP only protects incoming leaving you unaware of trojans or phone home malware.

Here are two that are recommended often on this board:

Freeware AntiSpyware and Security Programs

Software firewalls with freeware versions
Zone Alarm SE: http://www.zonealarm.com/
Sygate: http://www.sygate.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users