Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One user account fine, others No Help and Support

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jaug

Jaug

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

Hi,

Help and Support only runs on one user account. The same happens with Systems Restore. I have four user accounts all are administrator accounts. The Help and Services page will pop up when I go over the control panel help….nothing works in Help and Support than. When I try over..run>services.msc > OK the Help and Support screen wants to start than I receive….“Internet Explorer Script Error…Do you want to continue to run script on this page? Yes/No." No matter what you click, yes or no the error splash screen keep coming up.

What have I tried so far? I have downloaded every scan program that all the BC folks have recommended to different folks. I have run them in normal mode in safe mode. Fast scans complete scans on the different user accounts. I have done searches on this topic and only found where these programs have not run on all user accounts. I really have not wanted to do anything radical since everything works fine on one account.

I also Had the “Right Click” problem on these accounts that is taken care of.

My system:

Windows XP Home
2002 version
Service pack 3
1.43 gb of ram
149 gb hard drive

Does anyone have any ideas? As I mentioned one user account works Great!

Best Regards,
Jaug

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:31 AM

Go to Start > Run and type: helpctr -regserver.

Then Start > Run > and type CMD. Then type: regsvr32 /u hhctrl.ocx.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Karthiktkv

Karthiktkv

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:39 AM

Go to Start >> Run and type in: helpctr -regserver

To reinstall Help and Support:

Go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right-click and choose install. Have your XP CD available.

Note: The folder is hidden by default. Go to Start >> Run and type in: control folders. View: Show hidden files and folders and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types".

Edited by usasma, 31 January 2009 - 01:09 PM.
Removed ad for website

#4 Jaug

Jaug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

I am really not very excited about reinstalling anything from the software that eMachines have with this computer. First of it is not a windows cd. It is suppose to be the software that was installed on this computer. I have heard many horror stories about these "cd's".

On the other hand everything is up and running on one user account. I really have little trust in the software that eMachines deliver with there computers. Also the support you receive from them is usually "reinstall everything" I think ya right....good tech help.

There should be another way around it than to reinstall it.

Best Regards,
Jaug

#5 Jaug

Jaug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

Hi Budapest,

Thanks for your reply.

I did as you instructed.

There was no change in the situation of the Help and support.

On the user sides where it will not, work I can get it to display over the control panel...but that is all it will do display nothing works on the page.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Best Regards,
Jaug

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:58 PM

Try the fix at Kelly's Korner.

Restore Help and Support Service - #235 on the right.

Right click on it and save the .reg file to your desktop. Then, double click on the file icon (on your desktop) to merge it into your registry. You may need to reboot your computer for the changes to take affect.

With any fix like this you should create a new restore point and backup the registry first. For backing up the registry I like to use ERUNT.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Jaug

Jaug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2009 - 01:31 PM

I went to Kelly's Korner and downloaded "Help and Support". I already had the back up program Erunt and I used it for the first time. Nice program.....I am glad you suggested I use it!

After running the Kelly Korner download I had no Help and Support or System Restore on any user sides I also noticed a few other window tools are not working, Search, ect... I received a could not find....

I used the Erunt back up and things are working on one user side, so to make a long story short nothing has changed.

One thing I do not understand and I have not been able to find anything about this is....Just user sides having problems.
If the paths and reg is working on one side how can it not be working on all? Everyone is using the same registry, I believe.

I would be greatful for any light you or anyone can shine on this subject.

I have been searching the web for problems like I have, here is a site where some one was having the same problem am I. I imagine the problem was on ALL user accounts. Check it out what do you think?

http://help.lockergnome.com/windows/System...pict515905.html

Thanks again for any help you can offer.

Best Regards,
Jaug

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 04:26 PM

You could try running the System File Checker.

How to Use SFC.EXE to Repair System Files

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Jaug

Jaug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

I have tried that already. Did not work.

I have been trying to fix these problems for weeks. Have spent many hours trying to fix these problems.

I have found a fix, all user sides are working! I also have found out many people have tried to reinstall windows to fix this. Some people have had this problem for years.

Registry permissions are the real culprit.

For others who have the Blank Script problem/System Restore Blank screen/Help and Support not running/ Admin. tools not working/IE acting weird, and all this only on SOME USER ACCOUNTS. When these things are happening to some of your user accounts but not all it might be the registry permissions. You might have to change the registry permissions.Here is how.

Here is the down load;
SubinAcl

Here are the instructions how to use the download "SubinAcl";
instructions

I hope this might help some folks with the same problem that I had. I also hope you find this cure before you spend weeks or months (or even before you reinstall your OS!) Good Luck!

Best Regards,
Jaug

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users