Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't download shockplayer

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 polling

polling

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:17 AM

i downloaded beta yesterday and after the download was finish, i received a prompt in my lower right hand corner about flash players and whether or not to allow or block it i chose to block it, but then i remembered that my wife has comcast as her homepage. And without a flash player her home page won't load. She also can't play any games ie. spider and bejeweled, on the other hand i can still do all the normal functions on my side that she can't. I was prompted to download a flash player when i was on her home page i tried to download a new flash player but i wasn't able to complete the download. So i tried to download a flash player from another location and i still wasn't able to complete the download. I can hear my wife nagging me right now about what did you do to the computer ? If anyone knows what this might be please help i tried to retrieve the block item but when i go into beta it tells me that i have no blocked items if anyone can shed some light on this problem it will be greatly appreciated thanx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:26 AM

I am not clear about what application you downloaded in a BETA state, but I would suspect that that is the cause of your problems. Unless you enjoy testing programs and have some expertise in the area, it is best to avoid Beta releases.
Uninstall it, and see if that resolves your problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 polling

polling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:53 AM

hi igweed i downloaded beta 1 also i uninstalled it yesterday and that didn't make the problem go away i just did a hijack last week and i downloaded Microsoft antispyware beta 1 as extra protection it's kinda funny i did a hijack log to keep from doing a system restore now it looks like i'm going to have to do a system restore anyway if i can't get this problem resolved thanx :thumbsup:

Edited by polling, 23 May 2005 - 11:13 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:43 AM

Are you sure that the alert about blocking came from MS Beta? Your firewall can also give such an alert. Are you using a firewall and if so, which one? Double click the icon and look at the programs are to see what is blocked.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 polling

polling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:25 PM

hi leurgy i have Sygate as my firewall and the prompt to allow or block came from Microsoft antispyware beta i went into a newsgroup and saw countless other complaints about beta that i decided to uninstall and do a system restore and now everything is fine it's really ashame because i kinda liked the program but i truly believe i have enough protection on my computer thanx for responding i really appreciate it :thumbsup: :flowers:

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

Glad you figured it out. Sorry we couldn't have been more help, though. Thanks for posting back.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users