Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recurring POST message

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 manillagorilla

manillagorilla

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:39 PM

Hi,

About a month ago, after returning to my apartment from a week off, my computer began having a problem. I built this computer myself about three years ago, and had never had a problem before. Anyway, after pressing the power button the computer only issued an audible POST message. One long beep, followed by two short beeps. According to my motherboard manual, this means there is a problem with the video card. Besides this post, nothing else would happen, the monitor wouldn't even power on to display any sort of loading screens. The computer itself sounded healthy, all fans powered on, my dvd drive spun and sounded like it was trying to recognize disks, etc.

I replaced the video card and all seemed fine. The computer worked great for at least a week. I returned home for christmas, and upon returning to my apartment after 3 weeks away, the same problem is happening again (this time with the relatively new video card). The dvd drive spins, all my fans power on, the only response otherwise is the exact same POST message, audible only.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is my motherboard on the way out (that is my suspicion.... although I would imagine a bad motherboard wouldn't even give a POST message).

Computer specs:
AMD Athlon X2 4200+
eVGA NVIDIA 9800 512MB (formerly a NVIDIA 7800GTX 256MB)
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium 939 nForce4
COOLER MASTER Real Power RS-550-ACLY 550W ATX12V
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Thanks in advance,

Manilla

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:44 PM

I'd first try a reseat of the videocard.

If that doesn't work, you have 2 approaches;
- strip it down and build it up from the ground (test after each piece you re-add)
- strip it down 1 piece at a time till it works and then build it up again 1 piece at a time

With stripping it down I mean; pull any cards other than the videocard (unless your motherboard has an onboard video option, in which case I'd even pull the videocard), disconnect all drives (power and data), and memory. You could consider the processor if you feel comfortable cleaning it and re-applying new thermal paste.

For a system to post it needs:
- motherboard
- power (possibly have the powerbutton connected unless your board has an actual powerbutton on the board)
- processor
- memory (1 dimm is enough to post)
- videocard (if it doesn't have onboard video)

Plug in a monitor and power and see if you get anything on the screen. If you do, shut it down and add the rest of the memory and try again, then add a floppy or cd/dvd drive and see if you can boot to something (make sure post really finishes). If so, add the boot harddrive. Then any additional harddrives and then any PCI/PCIe cards that aren't in the system yet.

#3 manillagorilla

manillagorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the response, I will reconstruct the computer and post again tomorrow.

#4 manillagorilla

manillagorilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:04 PM

I just completed a full rebuild. I am listening to my computer POST right now, one long, two short.

I only have the video card connected to the motherboard, as well as one memory module. I tested the card in both PCI express slots, as well as testing both memory modules. The screen is black just like before.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be? Since the card video card is essentially brand new can I assume the problem lies with the motherboard? If so, any suggestions for a new motherboard that would work with an old socket 939 Athlon X2?

Thanks,

Manilla

EDIT: Are there any other forums that would be recommended by the members here? I have a lot of money invested in this computer and it would be a shame to let this problem go on for much longer. Perhaps if I consulted a few other forums I might find someone with a similar problem.

Edited by manillagorilla, 14 January 2009 - 03:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users