Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Auto scandisks and an untimely BSOD

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:26 PM

Hey, new member here; I've never posted before but I've used previous topics to help myself out with problems from time to time. Now I've got an issue that's just plain got me buggered.

I have an xp home machine here that runs a scandisk everytime the computer starts up unless I manually turn it off in the hijackthis log before I restart it. It boots into safe mode just fine, but if I try to start windows normally, I get a BSOD with an 0x0000008e error code and it starts a physical memory dump before it even boots into the desktop. I've tried taking out all the add-on cards, replaced the HD, the video card, swapped out the RAM, switched processors, scanned it with AVG and Malwarebytes, shut off everything in hijackthis, and even tried banging it against my head repeatedly, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First point: Error messages are made to be heeded. They are designed to provide the user with pertinent info about what is wrong, how to overcome it, etc. Ignoring such is...asking for trouble.

Second point: Whenever chkdsk feels that it has to run at boot, it's normally a sign that XP perceives hard drive problems of some sort...that require attention. So it tries to run to attempt to repair/overcome whatever it perceives as the problem. Interrupting this or curtailing this process...is a self-inflicted wound.

Why do you keep referencing HJT? Are you having malware problems?

Smart things to do:

a. Whenever you get a BSOD with an error message on it...write down anything that's onscreen (even if you don't understand it). It may provide a useful reference for someone who's trying to figure out what is amiss with your system.

b. If chkdsk starts to run at boot...and you've stopped it, I suggest either letting it run on the next boot (if it starts to run) or initating it after the next boot and desktop comes up. Start/Run...type chkdsk /r (space between k and /) and hit Enter or OK...type Y, hit Enter/OK...reboot the system and let it run. System will reboot when tool is done.

Louis

#3 LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:05 PM

I allow the scandisk to run all the way through whenever it starts, but as soon as the BSOD shows up and forces a reboot, it runs the scandisk again.

I thought that some malware may have been causing problems because in the past I've found that Scandisk on startup + constant BSOD = bad HD; but I replaced the hard drive and copied the information over to the new one (using sysmantic ghost) and the problem was still there.

It's not intermittant, either; every single time the system starts up, it goes through POST, starts a scandisk, finishes the scandisk, pops up the windows loading screen, then... Begins dump of physical memory.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

Thanks.

Well, at first glance...it could be malware, http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50966

But...it could be so many things, take a look: http://kadaitcha.cx/xp/stop_error.html#0x0000008E

Look at the loooong list of possible causes for your particular STOP message, 0x0000008e.

I would start with the obligatory diagnostic for the hard drive, so that we can start ruling things out.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

If you really think it's a malware issue...we can have all this moved to the Am I Infected Forum, where folks are more geared to help with malware issues. Say the word and we can do that.

Louis

#5 LegatoRedrivers

LegatoRedrivers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:32 PM

Well, there's something I've been overlooking this whole time: some joker formatted the FS in FAT32. I'm converting it to NTFS now and we'll see what I can do with it then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users