Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New laptop with Vista won't share printer on home network with XP computer.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DELK

DELK

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:39 PM

Hello. I'm new to this forum and have what appears to be a Vista problem involving the driver for a Canon i560 printer. My new laptop has Vista (of course). The other computers on my home wireless network are running XP. When I try to get my laptop to share the printer connected to the XP computer, the Vista program tells me that I don't have the correct driver for the printer. The driver is up to date as far as a driver update program can tell and I even downloaded a "Vista add-on" module for the printer. Still get the same message. Is this yet another Windows incompatability problem or is there a way to get around this? Very frusrating for someone who is shooting in the dark Vista-wise. Has anyone dealt with this or a similar problem involving mixed OS networking? I'm also not too great about wireless networking so I'll need very clear step by step help if it involves changing many settings.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

Just for clarificartion;

Can you see the printer from the Vista machine?
Have you allowed the printer to be shared from the XP machine?

When I try to get my laptop to share the printer connected to the XP computer

How are you doing that exactly?

EDIT: Moving this to external hardware forum since it is not a Vista issue.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I don't know anything about wireless, but...I'll start :huh:.

Sooo...this printer...is it a shared device on the network (it doesn't matter how it's connected)?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/windows...ter-sharing.htm

Louis

#4 DELK

DELK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:48 PM

Groovicus,

Yes, I can see the printer in two places: under network, both my networked XP computers appear. Clicking on icon for the computer with the printer attached brings up my shared documents folder and the Canon printer icon. It also brings up a "Printers" icon, which when clicked takes you to the "Add Printer" page. Alternatively, going straight to the "Add Printer" page via the control panel, shows the Canon icon. Selecting that icon and clicking on next after selecting "add network printer" brings up "Connecting to Canon i560" which quickly changes to the messsage: The server does not have the correct printer driver installed. Clicking on OK for that message brings up message: File needed - *.INF with a place to enter a drive. Browsing on the printer setup disk brings no results. I don't know where else to look. The printer IS set to share. By the way, when going to the sharing page on the XP computer there is a message about having to possibly add additional drivers for different versions of Windows and a click box to do so. The drop down box for Windows versions doesn't show Vista.

#5 Jonmor68

Jonmor68

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:39 AM

Have you downloaded and installed the Vista drivers and software from Canon? make sure to get all the files as Canon and others have multiple files to download, instead of one big file.
I can see 3 files for your model.
A link to Canon AU. may help you.
http://support-au.canon.com.au/EN/search?c...p;menu=Download

#6 DELK

DELK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

This is DELK saying thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions to remedy my problem. I had already downloaded the add-on driver for Vista as someone suggested, but there was more to the procedure than met the eye. The suggestion to visit the Canon site resulted in my finding the same download file as before, but while there I found a detailed process for networking a shared printer between Vista and XP computers which gave the rest of the story. Turns out it was necessary to add a new port on the Vista machine which had the format: \\XP computer name\Printer name. After that, :thumbsup: everything fell into place and I printed my test page successfully. Many thanks to all!!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for sharing your resolution of the situation.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users