Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antec EarthWatts 650

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Original_Shifty

Original_Shifty

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:36 AM

I'm thinkiing of upgrading the PSU (Antec 350SL) that came with my Antec case, to the EA 650.

I do have an abosuletely eye-roller question to ask. I'm not understanding the engineering design of the 650 as opposed to every other PSU I've seen in a computer. That being, the fan being placed on the PSU where the AC power outlet and power switch is located facing outward from the case. The 650 is not like this, it's on a different side. How does this design work? When I install the unit does the fan face up away from the system board, or down towards it?

http://www.antec.com/usa/ProductFamily.php?lan=us&PC=11

Edited by Original_Shifty, 13 January 2009 - 11:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

The fan would blow throughout your system. If not, it would just be blowing right into the side of your case and not have good airflow. I think this design may be favorable for cases where the power supply sits in the bottom of the case. I don't see the harm in using it though.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:59 AM

On an ATX case, the fan will be on the bottom of the PSU facing the CPU cooler. Most PSUs use this arrangement because it cools the PSU better, moves more air and is quieter.

Edited by dpunisher, 14 January 2009 - 10:00 AM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#4 Original_Shifty

Original_Shifty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:13 PM

Oh, okay. Now I got it. In my case the PSU is at the top of it so the fan will face down to blow air on the system board and CPU.

See, I always thought the fan on old PSU's pointed out of the case because it was drawing air out of the case but PSU fans are drawing air into the case for better airflow within the case.

Thanks guys, that's really cleared it up for me.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

Actually...my PSU on this system (and, I believe, every PSU I have ever had) draws the warmer air (which rises out).

The fan on the PSU is an exhaust fan...if you doubt these things, put your finger to either the fan or outside-case side.

I don't know why they always show these PSUs upside down these days.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users