Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a semi-gaming computer.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ATARi

ATARi

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hey, I'm trying to build me a new computer for semi-gaming purposes. Something that can handle most of the FPS games and MMO games such as CS, Left 4 Dead, Warhammer and probably the upcoming D3.

I'm just aiming for quality parts with equal performance. If possible trying to AIM for a SLI type of build also, but can always upgrade to that in the future.

I was looking at a few parts:

Motherboard: EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813188026

Processor: Core 2 Quad or Core 2 Duo, doesn't really matter to me.

Graphics: I'm originally a ATi user, but I want to try something new with the NVIDIA cards, so any suggestions with those cards would be helpful. Also that has SLI capabilities for future or present upgrades.

PSU: I was thinking a Termaltake 850-950W

Memory: Any RAM should suffice so no worries there.

OS: Still don't know whether to use XP or Vista at the time.

I think that covers most of the key spots, other things shouldn't be a problem to my opinion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

What's your price range? Also, you'll need a case to put the components into.

Motherboard: Good choice, a solid and inexpensive mobo supporting SLI.

Processor: If you go Quad, you will be futureproofing yourself more than if you went Duo. If you go quad, the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 or the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 would make good choices. If you want a dual core processor, the Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 is a nice processor.

Graphics: Almost all of NVidia's cards have SLI capabilities. At the expensive dual-GPU top-of-the-line end is the GeForce GTX 295, which is essentially two GTX 280's SLI'd into one card. At the more reasonable end of the graphics card market is the GTX 280. Going further down the performance line is the GTX 260. Note that all of these are very long cards, you need at least 11 inches of space in your case to use them.

PSU: Unless you plan on running two GTX 295's in your case, a kilowatt power supply is overkill. A 750W power supply from a reputable manufacturer like Corsair would do fine. The CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W would be a good choice. If you feel you must have an uber-powerful PSU, the CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W or the SILVERSTONE OP1000-E 1000W would be the way to go.

RAM: According to your motherboard specs, you can take 8GB of DDR2-1066 sticks. Two OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) kits would get you there.

OS: There is really no reason to run XP with this PC unless you are using very old programs with no Vista compatibility, which is very rare. You will need a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM, Vista Home Premium 64-bit should do nicely.

Edited by DJBPace07, 13 January 2009 - 04:24 PM.

3939.png

#3 ATARi

ATARi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Thanks for the input!

A price range would preferably be under $1000.

Would there be a little cheaper cards of the NVIDIA line that would perform just as good, say like dual 9600/9800?

Thanks for the input again, the case I'd probably worry the least.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

A dual 9800 GTX card would be more expensive than a GTX 260 and be about as powerful. You may want to get a single 9800 GTX card, save some cash, and then get the second one. Most games will run okay with just one. Getting a large enough case is important if you want to put the larger graphics cards inside. It would be annoying to get all the components, then get the case only to have the hard drive cage blocking the GPU installation. Below is a suggested configuration, I assume you're going to reuse the optical drives and hard disk in your new PC.

Motherboard: EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i - Your original motherboard. I like how it balances power and value. $170 (Before $30 mail-in rebate)

Graphics Card: EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX - Get one card now and one later, the price is reasonable. $160 (Before $10 mail-in rebate)

RAM: OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) - Get two of these to max out your RAM. This is RAM at a good price, besides the platinum coating looks cool. $63 per kit. (Before $30 mail-in rebate on each kit) $126

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz - Give you multicore at a good speed and price. $188

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit - You need a 64-bit OS to use more than 4GB of RAM. $99

Power Supply:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W - This power supply can handle a dual 9800 GTX SLI setup. It's also from a very reputable company. $124 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

Case: APEVIA X-PLEASURE-BK Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower - A solid aluminum case of quality with a low price. $129 (Before $30 mail-in rebate)

(Optional) Aftermarket CPU cooler: XIGMATEK HDT-SD964 - This is a very efficient and quiet cooler. You only need this if you plan on overclocking, or simply want a cooler processor. It is quite large so it should only be used in a Full ATX case. This will not be included with my final price since it is optional. $27

Final Price: $999.92 (Pre Rebate) - $150 (Rebates) = $849.92

Edited by DJBPace07, 13 January 2009 - 09:15 PM.

3939.png

#5 ATARi

ATARi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:48 AM

I really appreciated the help, thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users