Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer needs help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:26 AM

I have a Dell desktop and I'm currently connected to a network with my school district. For the last year, it has been having problems. When I open the internet, it will work for about 5 minutes, and then the trouble starts. IE will lock up and I have to CTRL+ALT+Del to get it to close. And NOW, IE will suddenly close with no warning and no error message afterwards. I downloaded Firefox to see if that would help. Nope. Firefox does the same thing, if it loads at all. When doing CTRL+ALT+Del, I've sent the error report and when it comes back with a link for more info, the Microsoft site says that it's a problem with Windows and that there is no solution to this problem at this time. I've checked my memory and I have more than 75% free space and I have 992 MB of RAM. The other computer in my room (my aide's) works just fine, as well as the student computer. I've done a Spyware check, a virus scan, disk cleanup and defrag. Still I have these problems. Can anyone PLEASE give me some suggestions? I will try anything! Our tech guys poked around and did all of the things I did with no improvement. There has got to be something I can do other than what I've already done. This is just rediculous and frankly I'm getting tired of it! HELP!

Jill

P.S. SOrry I didn't read the "Before you post..." sticky. I should have made my title a little more clear!

Edited by jilltheteacher, 13 January 2009 - 11:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:56 AM

Year-long computer problems...merit a clean install in my world. Sometimes, it does wonders for a system with problems that cannot be pinned down.

One alternative is to try using the Event Viewer tool and the sfc /scannow tool and the Device Manager tool to see if anything is waving a red flag.

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

I notice that you say "a" when citing malware defenses/checks...those should be continuous, routine.

...and I didn't note anything said re O/S updates.

These are just the obvious things I can think of to check that can cause problems.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2009 - 10:56 AM.

#3 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:08 AM

Thank you for your reply!
I have done numerous spyware checks...I should have clarified that I have done one recently (last week in fact) and found nothing suspicious.

I will try your other suggestions, thank you! When you say "clean install" do you mean completely re-installing Windows? As far as O/S updates, do you mean the occasional Windows Updates? If so, yes I am up-to-date on my updates.

Sorry, I'm still learning this stuff and kinda need someone to hold my hand. :D Thanks for the links - I'm sure they'll come in very handy.

Any other information or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Jill

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:31 AM

A clean install...yes, that means deleting everything (after backing up data files) and installing XP anew.

When I refer to updating XP, I am referring to the periodic, routine critical updates which come out and which the Win Update site facilitates installation of. Only the critical ones, not the optional ones. These are "critical" because they have to do with the security of the system.

Let's see what turns up with the steps you anticipate taking before we commit to a clean install :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

If all of your problems appear only when connecting to the Internet...then it would seem that IE and/or drivers should be primary suspects.

Have you tried a repair of IE? What version of IE is installed?

Have you attempted to set up your Internet connection anew...to overcome possible corruption/damage to key files?

The fact that you experience the same described problems with a different browser...suggests that the connection itself is at fault on your system (since it works for other systems using the same connection).

Louis

#6 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:57 PM

I have IE7 and I don't know if I've done a repair of IE...how do you do it? I have uninstalled it and re-installed it. In order to set up my internet connection again, I'd have to go through the tech guys (unless there is a way for me to do it - we're on a network so I'm not sure how??)

I have wondered if it's an internet connection problem as well. Is there anything I can do to check my connection to see if there are any visable errors? I have the little internet connection icon down in the right hand corner and it has never come up with the balloon that says "You have limited or no connectivitiy." I think the actual internet connection coming from the wall is fine, I just have a feeling that once it gets into my computer it gets jacked up.

Thank you for being so patient with me Louis! :thumbsup:

Jill

#7 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

I should mention that I have also installed Chrome to see if that worked and it did not. Same thing happens.

I am trying to access the links you provided but of course the problems that I've been experiencing are keeping me from doing this in a timely manner! :thumbsup:

Jill

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

No problem :thumbsup:.

Try going to Control Panel/Network & Internet Connections...click Network Diagnostics. Eventually you should be able to see two notations, one for the Network Adapters. Does this say "Passed"?

You can also click Control Panel, Network and Internet/Network Connections. Select Local Area Connection or whatever it is (in large portion) that represents your connection...look to left and click on "Repair this connection". This never does anything useful for me, but it's worth a shot :flowers:.

The other thing you can do is just double-check Device Manager for proper presentation of your NIC; that's your ethernet connector on the system. I must warn you that...just because Device Manager says that it's working properly...it ain't necessarily so. They don't necessarily give warnings when they are failing or dying, IME.

The easiest way to determine if it's the NIC is simply to add one (temporarily) to your system and try it.

For now, forget about repairing IE7 :trumpet:, I'm convinced it's bigger than that. But a link: http://www.pctechbytes.com/ie/iedetail.php...r-IE6-and-IE7-5

Louis

#9 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:12 PM

Ok, I found something that might be useful information:

I went to the network diagnostics and everything said Passed except for this:

00000001 Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller FAILED

Is this something???

Jill

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Yep...that's your NIC. That should be the key to your connection to the Internet.

I think you might let those "tech guys" know that your NIC may be failing or may require a new driver due to corruption.

Might be useful, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/netw...9/en/windrv.htm

If a new driver doesn't help...I'd have to say that it's on the way to the grave...and needs replacing.

Louis

#11 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:57 PM

Ok, I went to the Broadcom site and updated the driver. I went back to the diagnostic and this is what I got:

DNSServerSearchOrder (FAILED)
205.218.118.1 (FAILED)
Pinging 205.218.118.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timeout
Request timeout
Request timeout
Request timeout
Ping statistics for 205.218.118.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost - 4 (100% lost)

Does this make any sense to you?

Jill

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:32 PM

No, I'm not technically inclined that way (or any other way :thumbsup: ).

But, take a look at http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid...1712&page=2

And...http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7078 Alatar is pretty good at networking matters, so I trust anything he has to say.

This is beyond me...you may want to consider asking a mod to move it to our networking forum. You'd get better service there re such, IMO.

Louis

PS: I made a request to have it moved to Networking...good luck!

Edited by hamluis, 13 January 2009 - 05:36 PM.

#13 jilltheteacher

jilltheteacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

Louis you are awesome. Thank you so much for all of your help!!! I actually got hold of our head tech guy in our district (who is impossible to reach) and he's coming over today to take a look. From what I read to him, he said that he thought it was a bad network card. I don't know about that stuff so I guess I'll see what happens!!

Thanks again for your patience and assistance. You really helped me keep from going off the deep end yesterday! :thumbsup:

Jill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users