Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Safe mode

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm using 98 SE and want to run a scan in safe mode but I don't know how to go into it. Does anyone know the combination?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

when your system boots press f8 and then a menu will come and pick safe mode

some guide i found on google
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/chsafe.htm

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:48 AM

Bc also has atutorial for this. under the Tutorials tab at the top..
How to start Windows in Safe Mode

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

when your system boots press f8 and then a menu will come and pick safe mode

With Win 98 and ME if you hold the CTRL key down as the computer is starting up you will automatically go to the DOS menu for a Safe Mode start.

@buckshotdad1960.

Whay do you want to scan in Safe Mode?

Why won't it scan in normal mode?

Which virus software are you using?

I bet you have loads of apps running in the backgound which are hogging more resources. When your computer starts up in normal mode and you can only see your desktop do a CTRL+ALT+DEL and make a list of the programs showing in Task Manager and post it here. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:28 PM

Thanks guys, that helped me out! And I know how to delete things in my task manager but I always have this come back, (RNAAPP) any idea what that is?

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

I know how to delete things in my task manager

Its not a matter of deleting running processes thats easy. The problem is why are they running if your not using them? Every process uses system resources/memory. How much memory do you have installed?

You haven't posted the Task Manager list like I asked. :thumbsup:

Keith

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:40 PM

RNAAPP (Remote Network Access Application) is a core executable for Microsoft Windows Dial-Up Networking.
Here's a handy item for you.. A Techie's Guide to Combating RNAAPP.EXE
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:21 PM

RNAAPP (Remote Network Access Application) is a core executable for Microsoft Windows Dial-Up Networking.
Here's a handy item for you.. A Techie's Guide to Combating RNAAPP.EXE

Thank you boopme, I found that information very interesting! See, this is the problem with inheriting someone else's computer! You also inherit its problems, and there may never be anyway to tell which problems it came with and which ones I may have caused! I do know this, When my other computer went down I took my peoplepc cd and put it on this computer. Even though It works good enough to get me on the net I have a lot of problems with it. Maybe it is responsible for this RNAAPP I don't know.

#9 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

I know how to delete things in my task manager

Its not a matter of deleting running processes thats easy. The problem is why are they running if your not using them? Every process uses system resources/memory. How much memory do you have installed?

You haven't posted the Task Manager list like I asked. :thumbsup:

Ok, here goes,

Bleepingcomputer.com -> Replying in safe mode - mozilla firefox
rnaapp
peopelac
peoplepc online
explorer
swdoctor
Ccapp
Dialer
Ppshared
systray
bartshel

319.0mb of ram
41% free
file system 32 bit
virtual memory 32 bit
disk compression not installed
no pc card sockets are installed

And I do not have the 98 SE start up cd for this computer.

I'm using norton, spyware doctor and superantispyware.

And did I mention everything is held together with a tooth pic and a band aid?

#10 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:38 PM

appers to be a lot of crap their lol
go to run and type msconfig and then go to the start up tab and clean the stuff you dont use or dont need if its some you dont know then just leave or tell us about
and you should see a more faster computer

#11 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

appers to be a lot of crap their lol
go to run and type msconfig and then go to the start up tab and clean the stuff you dont use or dont need if its some you dont know then just leave or tell us about
and you should see a more faster computer

yes - but what does it all mean? And why does it all come back?

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,213 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:12 AM

Maapp is related to RNaapp. the rest seemm related to the internet connection.
Example
The process PeoplePal Module or BartShell Module belongs to the software BartShell Module or PeoplePC BartShell Module or Pinnacle MPEG Realtime Codec by PeoplePC (www.peoplepc.com). See http://www.file.net/process/bartshel.exe.html

I googled each and you'll see an explanation.

Have you scanned this PC for malware as these can be legit or malware but that would depend on each files location. AS in Bartshel.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 151552 bytes (75% of all occurrence), 135168 bytes, 150016 bytes, 131072 bytes.

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:30 AM

Yes there is a bit of crap running there. The 2 things Windows needs to run is systray and explorer the thing you could easily remove with msconfig, Run: msconfig.

There is another app that I would recommend but I'm not allowed to tell you in here. :thumbsup:

That is correct per BC policy ~ rigel

Edited by rigel, 14 January 2009 - 05:59 PM.

Keith

#14 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:40 PM

Yes there is a bit of crap running there. The 2 things Windows needs to run is systray and explorer the thing you could easily remove with msconfig, Run: msconfig.

There is another app that I would recommend but I'm not allowed to tell you in here. :thumbsup:

What?

Thats it?

Run msconfig!

I bare my computers soul to the public and worked my finger to the bone pecking out all that info and thats the best you can come up with is run msconfig?

Sh********T

If the shoulders of your computer had stripes on them I'd be ripping them off right now!

When I go to the doctor and have to pull my pants down, I better have anal cancer or I'm not paying the bill!

Know what I mean?

Ok, your on potato duty buddy! lol

Thanks for helping!

#15 buckshotdad1960

buckshotdad1960
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:51 PM

Maapp is related to RNaapp. the rest seemm related to the internet connection.
Example
The process PeoplePal Module or BartShell Module belongs to the software BartShell Module or PeoplePC BartShell Module or Pinnacle MPEG Realtime Codec by PeoplePC (www.peoplepc.com). See http://www.file.net/process/bartshel.exe.html

I googled each and you'll see an explanation.

Have you scanned this PC for malware as these can be legit or malware but that would depend on each files location. AS in Bartshel.exe is located in a subfolder of "C:\Program Files". Known file sizes on Windows XP are 151552 bytes (75% of all occurrence), 135168 bytes, 150016 bytes, 131072 bytes.

Thanks boopme, again very usfull information! I wish I did know of a free malware program I could run on this 98SE. There was one program that you guys were promoting but it won't run on my system! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users