Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIN XP Home: desktop icons disappeared

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nordan777

nordan777

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:18 AM

Good morning everybody, I'm just a newbie and I subscribed this forum in hope to find some help. First of all, I hope that this thread is the right one:I made some researches and I did not find anything about my problem, so I'm posting here. Hope that won't be banned immediately !! :thumbsup:

Well, to the topic,now. I have a notebook HP (mod.nx 6160 Compaq 40 Gb ) Win XP Home onboard. The other day I downloaded service pack number 3. After rebooting, all the desktop icons had disappeared : yes, I can only see the "green green hills of XP", no Start, no Bar. I took some acrions:

1-Right click on the desktop to force icons to be shown. No way. The cursor turns to sandclock and returns arrow. Nothing happens.
2-I opened Task Manager ( the only thing I can do) and looked at the processes running: I noticed the missing of "explorer.exe", so ..well, File > Execute > explorer.exe. Answer: " Explorer .exe is not a valid app of Wim32". ( or something similar).
3- Always via TaskMgr," regedit" and then ...well, I was afraid to "interfere". I hoped to find some error ..waving at me telling ne: hey, I'm the error, come and take me away ! - but it doesn't work like this...
4- entered Safe Mode to see if things were different: no, no icons. Gone with the wind.
5-downloaded smitfraudfix.exe and doesn't work. Comes a message saying a file's missing and smitfraud remover doesn't work.

What is puzzling me is that -via TaskMgr- I can see the folder "Desktop" and into that, alla of my previous icons...and of course, Cut/Copy/Paste is another flop.

Now I don't know what to do: shall I use some "rescue/recovery cd"? I'm somewhat convinced that SP3 has caused something wrong to my pc. Maybe I'm wrong, but...you never know !

Sorry for not cutting a long story short, but...anybody can please lend a hand to an italian in despair (=me) ??

Thanks in advance, chums ! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

I'm moving this to the XP forums.
Please double-check your model. Please be specific and include all letters and numbers
HP/Compaq had a patch that needed to be installed before you upgrade to SP3
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 muddflapp

muddflapp

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

I also have my desktop icons disappear. I have a Compaq Pressario V5000. When my computer starts up, the icons and start button and task bar are all there. then with in the first minute, everything disappears. I also use the task manager to open programs. The difference between us, is that when I open in Safe Mode, all my icons and task bar remain and are functional...go figure. I would love to hear what solutions are offered to you as they may help me also

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi nordan777,

I think it might be SP3 as well. Are the icons missing in Safe Mode as well? Have you tried to go back to a restore point from before SP3 was installed, or simply uninstalling it?

I'll give you two different instructions here, one for going back to an earlier restore point and below that a link to the uninstall instructions for SP3 provided by Microsoft. First are the instructions for how to go back to an earlier restore point using the task manager. Try this first in Normal Mode. If you have to do this from safe mode, then reboot your computer, and tap on the F8 key until the menu comes up which has Safe Mode at the top. Use the up arrow to go to that option and allow it to load. Be sure whichever account you use is an administrator account, whether working in Safe Mode or Normal Mode.

System Restore from the Task Manager:

You must be in an administrator account to use System Restore.
Open up the Task Manager with Ctrl-Alt-Del. In the Applications tab, and at the bottom click on New Task.
Type in restore. The restore folder will open. Look for rstrui.
Click on rstrui and System Restore will open. Choose Restore my computer to an earlier time.
A calendar will open up. Select a highlighted date from just before the issue started, click next and follow the prompts.
Your computer will reboot.

Once the computer reboots, see if things are better. If they are not, you can reverse the above procedure by going back into System Restore as you did before and select the option to Reverse the change.

If you cannot access system restore using the above method, reboot your computer and start it in safe mode. Log on using the administrator account. Go to Start/All Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Resore. Then continue as above by choosing Restore my computer to an earlier time.

There is also a way to uninstall SP3 which is described in the following Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Please post back how things go.
Thanks.
Zllio

#5 Kasene

Kasene

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:39 PM

hmm seems to be that explorer.exe is corrupted a disk repair should handle this if you have the xp install disk :thumbsup:

#6 nordan777

nordan777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:56 AM

Hallo there friends...first of all, I would like to thank Zilio an all the others who have been so eager to lend a hand ! You're really kind, and I thank you all and appreciate your help.

For ZILIO : Thanks bro, looks quite interesting what you suggest. But you see...every time (since I purchased the damn chap in 2005 ) I tried to perform a System Restore Point, the pc pondered about that about 3 minutes and said " impossible to create a rstore point" ! That happened 1,5 years ago. No virus, nothing - yet it's till like that. Or better, after a ZLOB removal ( it took 3 months of continuing scanning vit AVG+AVIRA+SyBOT..and SpyBOT made it !) in 2007, - the only virus hassle I ever had - the PC seemed to perform a resor point. Or so it sid. Now that I need that XXXXXX Resore Point, the system says : no restore points ! And I who took care to check/unchek " Deactivat Resore Point" !!

For what concerns the SafeMode : yes, F8 and all the rest is ok, but now ( and I mean about ten minutes ago ! :-() ) the pc shows a black screen with the four-angle writing, but....nothing appears anymore ! I mean - impossible to access Safe Mode further than that. Anyway, yesterday night i tried to re-access safe mode and everything was ok, I mean I could enter safe-mode but...it's equal to noemal mde. No icons, no start, no bar etc.

Although I'm a registered user in HP site, I never knew that it takes a sort of patch before installing SP3. I reported all the story to HP as well, but no answers yet from HP.

Yes, there aqre so many numbers on the reverse of my notebook, I'll writethem down. And I'll follow your advices, adter that I'll return to you and ...debrief !!!

If you do not read from me, it means I suicided .... :cool:

Once again, thanks to you all bros !!!! You're swell !!! :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :thumbsup:

#7 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:38 AM

We don't support the final solution here. DO come back!

Would love to hear how it comes out. Without the startbar etc. can you get to the Control Panel with Ctrl-Alt-Del? I was curious about that.

Zllio

#8 nordan777

nordan777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

We don't support the final solution here. DO come back!

Would love to hear how it comes out. Without the startbar etc. can you get to the Control Panel with Ctrl-Alt-Del? I was curious about that.

Zllio

Hi Zllio, when I use CTRL-ALT-DEL I can go to Task Manager and after that it is really hard to find the "path" to to to the Control Panel. The fact is that I can reach certain folder ( i.e. "desktop" , or "documents") but what I'm actually trying is to reach the Control Panel.

Hope to report to you soon the outcome of it all. Anyway, I'm getting convinced that "explorer.exe" must be somehow/what corrupted and seriously I am going to use the recovery disk. What do you think ? Actually I was given a Recovery Disk and a OS Disk ( which I will not use of course !! I'm scared about a possible accidental "onslaught" of all my files....I assure you I'm sweating !)

Pick you soon

nordan77t

#9 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:05 PM

For the desktop icons, try line 72 from here.

For system restore, try line 289 (second column).

Edited by karbo1, 15 January 2009 - 12:07 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users