Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware definition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EdBee

EdBee

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 12 August 2004 - 10:57 AM

I understand the differences between spyware and virus infection. But, I have noticed for instance that Norton upgrades weekly but apparently spyware catchers do not often update. I use Earthlink and their spy catcher (a version of spysweeper). I do not recall them updating? I know that catching viruses (Virii?) is much more critical and complex. But aren't the spy people constantly updating and changing their methods etc?? Just wondering. I also use SPYBOT and I have noticed that SPYBOT and Spysweeper will both catch spys on my machine, but not the same ones. Maybe it's something do do with what they define as a spy. :thumbsup:
EDBEE from NMUSA- RENOWNED MALWARE FIGHTER AND SWORN ENEMY OF ALL INTERNET HIJACKERS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 AM

Posted 12 August 2004 - 11:21 AM

They should have update options. I am not familiar with the earthlink versions, but the standalones do have updates on occassion.

Just like any vendor, the different software vendors do their own research and create their own signatures in order to detect the spyware. Some have signatures that the others do not. That is why we recommend people use both spybot and adaware when scanning for malware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users