Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

deleted shared file, now windows explorer won't run

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 choco

choco

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 AM

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

My friend was deleting some unused programs from her computer (win98SE)
And she accidentally checked yes when it asked her whether she wanted to delete the shared files

Now windows explorer won't run

The computer can't even be booted in safe mode

Since there is no system restore in win98, will restoring the registry help?

Or does she have to reinstall?

Be great if someone can help out! ^^
I am not familiar with 98 OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Use a 98 bootdisk to boot the computer and run setup from the 98 installation CD without formatting. This will reinstall 98. You won't lose any programs or data, but you will need to reinstall all the Windows updates, and if a program won't run, reinstall that too.

Restoring the registry will have no effect because it won't replace the file thats been deleted.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 choco

choco
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2005 - 09:08 PM

i restored the registry for her and somehow we can now go into windows, but since the files are missing there are lots of things that won't run

I will try to reinstall windows for her.

Thx for your help!

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2005 - 05:48 AM

If you can boot to windows you won't need the boot disk. Just go to Start>Run and browse to setup.exe on the 98 CD and reinstall that way.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users