Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format & Re-install Software - solve all issues?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jcarissimo

jcarissimo

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

Hi guys, if I have a pc that I'm pretty sure is infected and also is just not running clean & smooth. What are the odds that a FORMAT and re-install of all software would resolve all those issues?

Does that in fact wipe out all the possible trojans & viruses that may be in there?

I appreciate any help on this one.

Thank you in advance,
jcarissimo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 02:45 AM

A reformat should wipe all data, but if you restore any files, they might be infected. It's usually a good idea to scan all files you will restore for viruses and trojans. Note that the slowdown can also occur if there are a number of background processes running.

3939.png

#3 jcarissimo

jcarissimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

DJBPace07 - but by "restore any files" you mean actually using the System Restore? That was not my intention. I just was thinking format the hard drive and then re-install from scratch all the old software. Does it make sense for me to do this?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

By restore old files, I meant things like your MP3 music collection, your downloaded movies and programs, documents, etc. Formatting is the nuclear option in virus control. You will wipe out the virus off a hard drive, assuming you don't have multiple drives that it can move to, but you will also get rid of all your personal data. What virus scanner do you use?

3939.png

#5 jcarissimo

jcarissimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

DJBPace07, they had an old version of Norton running but I've since uninstalled it and installed "Free" AVG. I've run a few scans along with Adaware and it found some stuff and helped clean up a little, but still having one functionality problem -- they are using a cable modem to connect and all the sudden it is taking 15-20 minutes to upload a photo to KodakGallery.com and Facebook, etc.

So I assumed(probably my mistake) that there is still a virus or malware present and figured it was easiest(ie. fastest) to just format and wipe out the whole hard drive and just reinstall all the software for them again.

What is your recommendation? If any...

Regards,
jcarissimo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users