Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem with explorer.exe

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 FBZ

FBZ

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

My desktop items and start menu have disappeared. I have been asking for help in another topic how to solve this issue and boopme found that there is something wrong with explorer.exe. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic194718.html) In task manager I do not have explorer.exe. I can solve the issue temporarily by running it from its directory. Unfortunately, after a restart I run into the same problem. Boopme in the other topic suggested me to do SFC /SCANNOW but it requires xp cd and I do not have it with me. Isn't there a method that does not require cd.

Edited by FBZ, 13 January 2009 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:14 AM

Below is the registry location of the shell file (should be explorer.exe) that loads, yours is probably corrupted

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\Shell

More info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228309

#3 annieo

annieo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

We are having the same problem with Windows XP- lost all icons on desktop, incl. start button and taskbar (had a virus, too).
We can only access the task mgr..
Says "Windows cannot find explorer.exe"
Safe mode does not work.
System Restore does nothing.
Where would I type the above mentioned fix.... I'll have to google "registry location of the shell file" - that's greek to me.

Thanks for any assistance!

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

In task manager I do not have explorer.exe. I can solve the issue temporarily by running it from its directory.

By running it "from it's directory" do you mean you press Ctrl + alt + del and in the task manager window that pops up, you select 'File' then 'new task' and typing explorer.exe, then pressing enter?

If you have not tried that, please try that and let us know if the taskbar and icons re-appear.

P.S. - Hope you found out from google what "registry location of the shell file" means as using search tools is a needed skill in todays age of computing, and I apologize if it was jargon to you.
What it means is the location where the registry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_registry ), points to the shell file ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell ) which is the "interface" of the computer. (The GUI, or the "stuff you can click on" ).
Normally this shell file is explorer.exe in a Windows operating system. If your computer is pointing to the wrong location of that file, it will never load explorer.exe until you manually do it (by using the method I instructed above).

#5 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 11:00 AM

My desktop items and start menu have disappeared. I have been asking for help in another topic how to solve this issue and boopme found that there is something wrong with explorer.exe. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic194718.html) In task manager I do not have explorer.exe. I can solve the issue temporarily by running it from its directory. Unfortunately, after a restart I run into the same problem. Boopme in the other topic suggested me to do SFC /SCANNOW but it requires xp cd and I do not have it with me. Isn't there a method that does not require cd.

Try lines 72 and 117 (and possibly line 16) from here and see if it helps.

or

Here's a registry trick for the explorer.exe problem: (first, don't forget to backup the files)

These are the keys that need to be deleted...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\explorer.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\iexplorer.exe

Once these keys are deleted the desktop and internet explorer should come back to life.

Edited by karbo1, 14 January 2009 - 04:18 PM.

Please post back if we found the solution

#6 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

Running SFC /SCANNOW resolved the issue with explorer.exe. I got my desktop items back.

I have another issue with internet explorer but I don't know if it is caused by the sfc /scannow process or by the antivirus 2009 infection that I got yesterday and cleaned this morning.

Internet Explorer can not load images, besides images everything looks fine.

I have mentioned about this in the previous topic also. (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/194718/everything-on-desktop-disappeared/)

Edited by FBZ, 14 January 2009 - 12:24 PM.

#7 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:38 PM

For the images, check your Java. Yous should have Java Runtime Version 6 Update 11.

or

Check your Internet Options.

Edited by karbo1, 14 January 2009 - 12:39 PM.

#8 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:45 PM

What do you mean by checking internet options?

#9 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:13 PM

To see if your Java applets are enabled under the Security tab.

#10 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:33 PM

But the problem is with the images with the extensions like jpg, I can see java applets and flash banners.

#11 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:56 PM

What do you see instead of the images? Any symbol?

#12 annieo

annieo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:12 PM

Dear lowtek otc and everyone else that is trying to help, I appreciate it enormously.

I now know a little more about the registry - probably just enough to be dangerous. I'm not quite sure yet, where to check the registry, the Microsoft Help that you pointed to is for Windows 2000 and we have Windows XP.

I tried to run this "shell fix" that I got from http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=13057

If you have DSL or Cable, follow these instructions:

1. Ctrl+Alt+Delete>File>New Task (Run...)

2. Type: ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg

3. Click Ok and it will prompt to download shellfix.reg file

4. Click "Run" file. Do not save it on your desktop, or anywhere on the computer.

5. After it runs, reboot your computer and the problem will be gone

But.... it doesn't seem to 'run', after I click "Run" I get to click "Ok" after that, but then nothing else seems to happen.

So alas, that hasn't fixed it.

FBZ - are you the one that wrote "Running SFC /SCANNOW resolved the issue with explorer.exe. I got my desktop items back"? Did you use the Windows XP installation discs??

Thanks again everyone!

#13 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

FBZ - are you the one that wrote "Running SFC /SCANNOW resolved the issue with explorer.exe. I got my desktop items back"? Did you use the Windows XP installation discs??

Thanks again everyone!

Yes, running SFC /SCANNOW did work. I used xp cd.

#14 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

What do you see instead of the images? Any symbol?

Attached File  screen.jpg   213.48KB   15 downloads

I can not see this attachment on my laptop but that is how it looks like.

The image on the bottom right is a flash banner.

If I right-click and show picture, image becomes visible temporarily until refreshing the page.

Edited by FBZ, 14 January 2009 - 07:58 PM.

#15 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

Go to Avanced Options in IE settings and make sure Show Pictures is checked.

+

Clear the IE cache.

Also check in Advanced Options that 3rd party browser extensions has a tick to it.

Edited by karbo1, 14 January 2009 - 09:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users