Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Partition Overlaps System Recovery partition

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:21 PM

Hi guys I am trying to fix this HP Compaq dx 2300 Microtower. It is running Windos XP Pro.
When it is turned on there is a message on the screen that says:

Boot from CD

Warning: A partion overlaps your system recovery partition. Press F10 to start system recovery anyway or another key to delete the recovery partition.

I did not press F10, instead i pressed any other key. The reason is because I think it will ask for a Restore CD when I press F10. and the restore CD will surely clean out everyting on the hard drive.

How on earth can I get this message on screen out of the way....and is there another way around this ??

Please help me...... :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet: :inlove: :cool: :) :P :)
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:25 AM

Since this is an HP specific recovery partition, I really would suggest contacting HP Technical Support as they may have better information for you.
I would suggest using their online chat since it is usually faster and they are more willing to help even out of warranty (in my experience)

However if they refuse to help you out of warranty. (assuming it is out of warranty)

My following suggestions are assuming that you have proper HP restore media (cd/dvd) in their entirety in proper format and are not scratched or damaged.
Sometimes if the recovery partition of your hard drive is damaged, even doing a recovery using the cd/dvd is not going to re-write the recovery partition, it will only reformat and recover the main user parition.
For that reason what I really would suggest is to backup your files, and reformat your hard drive from another computer. Then use the restore cd's to re-write the partitions on the drive.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 13 January 2009 - 07:12 AM

Related situation: http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums...hreadId=1039962

Have you used Partition Magic on your system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users