Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everything on desktop disappeared

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 FBZ

FBZ

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:11 PM

Everthing was normal when I shut down my laptop this morning. After restarting it started to resist hiding the desktop from me. Everthing seems to be ok besides that. I have internet connection, I can reach any folder and program by using start>run. However, it is not a good sign to have a nice scenery on the background all the time. :thumbsup: Almost a month ago I had similar issue. Everthing were disappearing but then coming repetititively. Internet connection was down, the operation of the computer was far slower than this time. Somehow, I got rid of that issue using Combofix.exe but this time I would like to listen to you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

Hello is this an XP machine? Do you still have the task bar at the bottom?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:01 PM

yes, xp.

I don't have taskbar.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:40 PM

Let's do this..
Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").

If you see any of these,select each entry and click the Delete button.

Security Info
Warning Message
Security Desktop
Warning Homepage
Privacy Protection
Desktop Uninstall

Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

When done, go back into your Desktop Settings and you should be able to change the color/theme to whatever you want.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

How can I go to control panel without using start menu?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:11 PM

Yipes,my bad, i must be over my posting limit. :thumbsup:
Let's do this
IT like explorer.exe isn't loading or is corrupted.

To check this:
Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
Task Manager should appear
Click the Processes tab
Look for an entry called explorer.exe

If you re-installed Windows while removing the viruses, DO NOT follow the following lines (until ===)

If it exists, left-click it once and choose End Process
Choose Yes to confirm

At the top of Task Manager
Click File -> New Task
In the box that appears, type "C:\windows\explorer.exe" (Assuming that windows is installed to C:\windows)
Click OK

Post back what you find.

#7 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:14 PM

There is no explorer.exe :thumbsup:

#8 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:21 PM

After running explorer.exe from Task Manager I got everything back. Thank you boopme. :thumbsup: Still, I wonder why that happened.

#9 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

After a restart I have the same problem...

#10 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:39 PM

Ok I only have this left in me. Perhaps we'll need to take this to the XP forum.

Try the following, you will need your windows XP CD available.

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
File>>New Task

SFC /SCANNOW

If prompted to insert your Windows CD, do so.

#11 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

Well, if I do not have XP cd with me :thumbsup:

#12 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

I would start a topic in XP and mention how the other fix worked till reboot. They will probably know what the correction is. If not they will figure out how to get it back. They have goods mods and advisors there also.

#13 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 12:14 AM

I'll do it. Thanks for your help.

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,759 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:20 AM

You're welcome !!

#15 FBZ

FBZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Hello again,

At the night after this conversation my laptop got infected by Antivirus 2009. I guess I have successfully solved the problem running mbam a couple of times.

Then I have done the last thing you have suggested me (SFC /SCANNOW) using xp cd. Now, I have my desktop items back.

Remaining problem is, when I am using internet explorer images cannot be loaded. I do not know if it is because of the malware removal processes when I was dealing with Antivirus 2009 or SFC /SCANNOW, since in the meanwhile I did not connect to the internet.

Edited by FBZ, 14 January 2009 - 12:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users